North Carolina

For those that keep quail....

Are they noisy?
Do they lay a lot of eggs?
Why do you have them?

I keep seeing LOTS of eggs for sale (like 50 at a time) do they have a low hatch rate or you just hatch that many at once?
The eggs are so pretty I was thinking about maybe adding a few in the Spring, but really don't know anything about them.

I do like guineas and peafowl, but they are way too loud for where I live....

Overly done pecking could be a sing that your pen is too small. Before I went to the extremes of peepers, I would look into pen size for number of birds and bugs. If it was a case of adding new birds to a already set pen, first make sure the new birds are not too much smaller in size then the existing birds, 2nd add new birds at night (put them in the middle of the existing birds so they smell like each other come morning), 3rd watch them to make sure that as they set a new pecking order that no one gets hurt. Any sing of blood and that will make the rest, even if they hadn't brothered the bird before, go after it.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

I'm not a very observant person and I miss things but I have
noticed that this thread seems to ebb and flow and as it does
there is a changing of the folks here who interact with everyone.
I am wondering if there is another change occurring as the
number of posts has gone down a fair bit......at one time there
would be 40-60 posts in a day.......now not so much. I do enjoy
meeting the new folks who find their way to here and I miss
those who have moved on to newer places.
hugs.gif

hope everyone has a good day
caf.gif

Good Morning everyone!

CSB, I have also noticed the decline in chatter. I am not sure if folks are just busy or stalkers. This is one case where stalking is perfectly fine.
wink.png
I find that sometimes I am more chatty and sometimes I stalk... Other times I am just not on the computer because I am off playing with my chickens.

I hope that this is the case with most others. There are some lovely folks on here and I miss some that are not currently chatting. If You have been a stalker lately, maybe you could drop in for a quick hi just to let us know if everything is alright.
frow.gif

RF, thanks for the great info on integration. I hadn't though of placing the new chikcens in the middle of the pack on the roost. That makes perfect sense though!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Good Morning everyone!

CSB, I have also noticed the decline in chatter. I am not sure if folks are just busy or stalkers. This is one case where stalking is perfectly fine.
wink.png
I find that sometimes I am more chatty and sometimes I stalk... Other times I am just not on the computer because I am off playing with my chickens.

I hope that this is the case with most others. There are some lovely folks on here and I miss some that are not currently chatting. If You have been a stalker lately, maybe you could drop in for a quick hi just to let us know if everything is alright.
frow.gif

RF, thanks for the great info on integration. I hadn't though of placing the new chikcens in the middle of the pack on the roost. That makes perfect sense though!

HI!

Scott

Good Morning everyone!

wink.png

frow.gif

Hey Y'all I am subscribed to this thread. Although I live in SC I'm just 30 miles S of Gastonia, and I work in NC. I don't say much 'cause I'm still a newbie and rather have open ears than just ratlin'.
smile.png
My first chicks were given to me by a friend April 5th of this year they are backyard Dominique chickens. My primary interest right now is in starting a flock of heritage Buckeyes. Currently preparing the coops and pens for the spring.

Quote:
There's some people on byc with some nice show stock buckeyes, if your going for show stock type. I know that a lot of hatcheries sell them also. Good luck with getting your pens done.

Good Morning everyone!

CSB, I have also noticed the decline in chatter.  I am not sure if folks are just busy or stalkers. This is one case where stalking is perfectly fine.  ;)   I find that sometimes I am more chatty and sometimes I stalk... Other times I am just not on the computer because I am off playing with my chickens.

I hope that this is the case with most others.  There are some lovely folks on here and I miss some that are not currently chatting.  If You have been a stalker lately, maybe you could drop in for a quick hi just to let us know if everything is alright.  :frow

RF, thanks for the great info on integration.  I hadn't though of placing the new chikcens in the middle of the pack on the roost.  That makes perfect sense though!

I'm doing good here in Nash Cty. Only problem I've had lately is with the watering hose which goes to the coop. I don't have running water out there so I've always used a hose.(this is my first winter) I am also handicapped and have raynaud's syndrome which effects my fingers/hands if they are exposed to cold. LOL Not a good combination when using cold water in cold weather. I worry the worse weather has yet to come. My hose froze up somewhere along the line. I didn't have any waterproof gloves! had to hand walk the hose,curling it, trying to break up the ice. My hands had gotten wet/cold...turned white from lack of circulation. I knew I had to get them water. My dear hubby came out and got a bucket and went in and got some water. I finally got the hose opened too. The waterer inside the pen has never even had any ice in it. I have it pretty well protected..LOL...but I have to get the water to them!! Been trying to figure out how to do it. I can't physically carry the water to and from. I did go to TSC and found some gloves by JohnDeere which have a rubberized portion on the front so they are going have to suffice for now. If anyone has a miracle design that might work..let me know. My coop is good, protected from the elements, ventilated..not heated but I do have 3 brooder lights underneath. No...not inside and not in contact with any wood area of the coop. We put our gifted coop underneath the front wing of our shed so I can put those lights out of the weather but against the loser wire of the coop. They are safe and yet providing a minimal source of heat.

jtbass,

I've got Raynauds and a few other things, too. Winters can be painful! I think I have pictures of my water setup in my profile. 55 gallon pickle barrel of water in each henhouse. I use dog auto waterers in the summer, but bowls in winter. Fill them once a week, during the middle of the day when the hoses are thawed. Mine don't freeze hard enough to make watering a big problem. I do have one with the water outside, so have to break the ice off in the mornings. I make sure that one is filled up in the evening. occasionally I have to bring a small bucket of hot water out to pour into the water, but mostly not. I keep double rabbit bottles and swap them out daily, bringing the frozen ones indoors to thaw. Oh, on the hose...if you must leave it out, make sure it drains after each use, so there's is no water in there to freeze!

Also, look in the hunting section of Wal Mart or other store and get some chemical heat packs. If you put them on your wrists (pulse point) your hand will still be usable. You can put them inside mittens, but it's a bit bulky and limits your hand use somewhat. They make them to fit in shoes, too. I've never found them much help there, as they need oxygen to work and my shoes pretty much eliminate that getting to the packs. And again, they take up too much room. You'll want a hat with face mask if your face is involved in the Raynaud's, too. And extra body protection. (It affects pretty much all extremities on me; hands, feet, ears, nose, and breasts. Not fun. I hate winter.)

Oh...and yes, I've been busy! But we are in finals week now, so soon I'll be around more. Until next semester starts up!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom