North Carolina

Well got some bad news to report. The roo that was hurt in the attack passed sometime this morning since my last post. My daughter wanted to have him stuffed, but just can't justify the cost. We buried him in the backyard. Before i finished with this sad task, I went and found some of the feathers that were scattered around the yard and put with him so that he can have some of his girls with him. When I told this to my daughter she just seemed to lose it as well as I did. Think this is the first time that she has seen her dad cry in a long time. As much as Jesse aggravated us, he protected his girls till the end. I just told her that he gave his life protecting his girlfriends and that we couldn't ask for much more than that.

She wants another rooster like him. We think he was a White-Faced Black Spanish. Think this by looking at the different pictures of different breeds. It's either that or a Mincora, but his wattles weren't as big as the pictures that I've seen. Will try to post a pic of him my DD took before we buried him earlier. Got him from TSC in March of 2012. He was a bantam. Anyone out there have one or know of where we might be able to get one. My other rooster is a silkie and he was found hiding with the rest of the girls so don't know if he tried to fight whatever came into the yard.

:( I have some white silkie roos you can have if you want to come get them.

He was alone. I thought I had him warm enough. :( I feel so guilty

:( Chickens need buddies, imo. I don't know that I would ever have just one. I didn't know until recently that guineas mate for life. I have one lavender that lost her mate months ago and is still actively looking for him. It is heartbreaking. We have an even number, but I'd have to spend some serious time sorting out who's who.

When we know better, we do better. Sounds like you need more chickens. :/

Well I have a friend that had some wfbs, if you want I can see if she still has them and if they are laying eggs.
RF, thanks for the offer. I will talk with the DD and see what she wants to do. Please check and see if she has any eggs or young roos. I was thinking of maybe waiting till spring that way wouldn't have to worry abou keeping them in the house since it seems like it's gonna be a cold winter.

Quote:
I'll see about eggs, as I know she has only one rooster. ETA just got done talking to her, she got rid of them since they were older birds (5 to 8 yrs old) and will be getting some more come spring.

Last edited:
Anyone near Fayetteville have any Hens for sale? [email protected]
I have pullets that were hatched the end of May. They are Easter Eggers from an Ameraucana roo over Barred Rock and RIR hens also brown egg layers from a Marans roo over Oliver Egger hens. Some of the brown egg layers are laying and the rest should be soon. I am south of Sanford, about 30 minutes from Spring Lake.

Back
Top Bottom