North Carolina

Yeah, it was getting out of hand over here. I had to make some choices. From now on, if I want to add a breed, something has to go! (Maybe I should do the same thing with my closet....)
gig.gif

that's what I do with shoes!

Adult duck question--

I won't buy any adult chickens after the fiasco a year ago.
This is probably a silly question, but I really don't know much about ducks.
Are they susceptible to the chronic diseases like you would find in chickens?
Can you adopt adult birds that seem healthy and bring them home, or must they be quarantined from all other birds as well. I'm really mostly concerned about ducks to chickens, as my ducklings are in a brooder.
THANKS!

EDIT-- To clarify, I do have a separate pen on the side of my house that I used for my meat chickens, which I no longer have. Which I could keep ducks in that and not let them out. But I don't know if there's anything crazy airborne that could bother chickens on the other side of the house in their pen. (And my chickens do free range, I wouldn't let the ducks). But I've spent a year building up my current flock & I'm so crazy about biosecurity, I just don't want to make any more dumb mistakes.

Also, the farmer who raises/sells them doesn't keep any chickens, so they haven't been exposed to chickens, not sure if that makes a difference in anything they could carry?

Last edited:
Thank you Ramirez they are some very nice looking birds. I am hoping I can find someone close to me who has something different that I would like to try out.

Yes.....

I had just got into chickens, didn't really know much about them other than it was taking my pullets FOREVER to start laying.
We went to WCA (chicken auction) and got some laying hens.
I didn't know anything about quarantining, they looked healthy enough, I just put them all together.
Within weeks it was clear that they were carriers and some were actually sick themselves and it spread to everyone. I was injecting them in the breasts with Tylan, but others on here brought to my attention even if they get better they are still carriers, and I could potentially unintentionally spread it to other people by my shoes, tires, etc.
So with my husband away I had to kill all my birds.
Tear down & throw away all the fencing, feed containers, coop...
I tilled the land & let it rest a few months.
Then rebuilt everything in another part of the yard & only got chickens I hatched myself.
I only starting getting eggs for the first time in like 9 months last month.
So I am overly cautious it doesn't happen again!!!!

Last edited:
Yes.....

I had just got into chickens, didn't really know much about them other than it was taking my pullets FOREVER to start laying.
We went to WCA (chicken auction) and got some laying hens.
I didn't know anything about quarantining, they looked healthy enough, I just put them all together.
Within weeks it was clear that they were carriers and some were actually sick themselves and it spread to everyone. I was injecting them in the breasts with Tylan, but others on here brought to my attention even if they get better they are still carriers, and I could potentially unintentionally spread it to other people by my shoes, tires, etc.
So with my husband away I had to kill all my birds.
Tear down & throw away all the fencing, feed containers, coop...
I tilled the land & let it rest a few months.
Then rebuilt everything in another part of the yard & only got chickens I hatched myself.
I only starting getting eggs for the first time in like 9 months last month.
So I am overly cautious it doesn't happen again!!!!

WOW! dedication. at lest its all fixed! im so cautious to getting new birds.

Thing is, a lot can be carried in by wild animals; ie wild birds, snakes, foxes just to name a few.

ETA - QT is always best, but just be mindful that something can come in anyway. Sometimes its your place that makes the new birds sick also, lol. I try not to dwell too hard on it, but I am mindful none the less.

Last edited:
Thing is, a lot can be carried in by wild animals; ie wild birds, snakes, foxes just to name a few.

ETA - QT is always best, but just be mindful that something can come in anyway. Sometimes its your place that makes the new birds sick also, lol. I try not to dwell too hard on it, but I am mindful none the less.

yeah. I don't dwell. I just make the matter worse. LOL thought this fella had mareks last week.

I didn't want to go telling everyone on BYC because I didn't want to believe it.....I think now he just has one weird shaped pupil.....its egg shaped with no squiggles. his other pupil is fine.....I don't dwell on anything I just am keeping an eye on him.

my question was where the heck would he get mareks!?!??! he has lived in the garage all his life, and has never been outside. my breeder is NPIP approved as well!

im not culling him....if he doesn't end up having mareks im keeping him till October to sell.

I don't free range for the fear of washed down pesticides for diseases if they eat something or get in contact with a rabies infected animal. I don't have too much time to watch my chickens all day so I just pen them......not to be mean but for my own mind sake. LOL

Last edited:
I'm paranoid, too. Fall of 2012 I had MG. I had to destroy over 100 birds. And bleach down everything and wait a couple months before starting again. The emotional drain and the financial loss were not fun. So, visitors that own or have been around poultry get to wear shoe/boot covers here. I can bleach down my car tires if I go to a swap, and have special shoes in my car that I change into when I go.

However, I have Finally gotten a response from the state, and will be getting my NPIP testing done soon. Yay! Then I can ship eggs and birds across most state lines. Not going to Va, as their regulations are too strict.

Hubby is out working on the first of the two new chicken houses. These will be the last we build. Each is 20 x 8 feet, divided into two 10 x 8 sections. Each section feeds onto it's own pasture. I'll have to go and overlay the field fence with chicken wire to keep them in their own sections, which is a pain. But it must be done!

Keep on keeping on! It's all we can do!

Adult duck question--

I won't buy any adult chickens after the fiasco a year ago.
This is probably a silly question, but I really don't know much about ducks.
Are they susceptible to the chronic diseases like you would find in chickens?
Can you adopt adult birds that seem healthy and bring them home, or must they be quarantined from all other birds as well. I'm really mostly concerned about ducks to chickens, as my ducklings are in a brooder.
THANKS!

EDIT-- To clarify, I do have a separate pen on the side of my house that I used for my meat chickens, which I no longer have. Which I could keep ducks in that and not let them out. But I don't know if there's anything crazy airborne that could bother chickens on the other side of the house in their pen. (And my chickens do free range, I wouldn't let the ducks). But I've spent a year building up my current flock & I'm so crazy about biosecurity, I just don't want to make any more dumb mistakes.

Also, the farmer who raises/sells them doesn't keep any chickens, so they haven't been exposed to chickens, not sure if that makes a difference in anything they could carry?
I don't know about cross breed "contamination" but we have always quarantined any new members, duck or chicken, baby or adult. We have been lucky in that none of the ones we introduced have been ill. We keep them separate either in crates in the house or crated in our shop, not really giving them any time outside just in case something may be airborne. Clean hands and different shoes/clothes when going to the main flock. If everything is going good then towards the end of the qt time they get some outside time.

Back
Top Bottom