North Carolina

Hey thanks i could not find anything in face book and when you say the bin with the bantams are they with other breeds if so how am i suppose to identify them as silkies

Study pictures of silkie chicks before you go so you can identify them because last spring when I went to get different breeds I had to tell the man which were which.

Anyone here dealt with http://www.springhaven.farm/ in Chapel Hill? Quality of birds? They list SLW and Australorps, and pullets up to 16 weeks old.
Wyandottes and Australorp are common birds that can be picked up at just about any everyday hatchery or Hardware type store come Spring. If a hardware type store does not have them in one week they will be in the next. Stay away from straight runs at the hardware type stores! Only buy Straight runs from private individuals at swaps or from smaller scaled hatcheries such as Carolina Rare Chicks out of South Carolina or Greenfire farms type of places. The hatcheries that sell to hardware store offer pullets and straight runs, what bin do you think the roos are tossed into? Not the pullet bin But could they be tossed into the straight run bin? I do not buy from any hardware type store. I might buy from a vendor outside in a TSC parkinglot or a place like Carolina Rare Chicks but no way to a hardware store

I will say I got 4 golden comets from southern states in mooresville and they have been great little birds.
I have had Sex linked chickens from time to time. They have their place in Chickendom and serve well albeit for short periods of their short life of laying. They can be the clowns of the chicken yard. Great personalities.

Golden Comets are sex linked. Hybrids created so we all will know what gender they are at sight. No figuring anything out. All Red Stars, Black Stars, Golden Comets, Dixie Rainbows, in fact there are threads on the forums dedicated to Sex linked Chickens. These chickens are created to take the guess work out of chicken engineering completely. They will lay early and often but burn out quickly. Since I get attached to a chicken like a pet, I want it to be around for many years and give eggs for many years. Think of it this way,.. females are engineered to have so many eggs. Do you want those eggs dropped slowly over many years or all in a couple of seasons. So There is no way any hatchery would be able to toss their roos in a straight run bin of sex links, In fact I have never seen straight run sex link bins, that would be an oxymoron would that not be?

Last edited:
Wyandottes and Australorp are common birds that can be picked up at just about any everyday hatchery or Hardware type store come Spring. If a hardware type store does not have them in one week they will be in the next. Stay away from straight runs at the hardware type stores! Only buy Straight runs from private individuals at swaps or from smaller scaled hatcheries such as Carolina Rare Chicks out of South Carolina or Greenfire farms type of places. The hatcheries that sell to hardware store offer pullets and straight runs, what bin do you think the roos are tossed into? Not the pullet bin But could they be tossed into the straight run bin? I do not buy from any hardware type store. I might buy from a vendor outside in a TSC parkinglot or a place like Carolina Rare Chicks but no way to a hardware store

Thanks for the info. Yeah I know they aren't rare or hard to find. Just want to get our first stock from a breeder where we can actually go see the birds and see what we're getting, and how the birds temperaments are in general. I've been in contact with them since that post, they seem to know what they're doing. And they invited us to come and pick out our birds ourselves when we get the coop ready for them! They apparently have birds of all ages to choose from. I think that's awesome. We can go get exactly what we want and not have to deal with unwanted roosters later.

Back
Top Bottom