North Carolina

It’s been in the single digits, even into minus numbers here.
I have mine in an above ground chicken tractor with hardware cloth floor. The roof and sides are solid. I’ve barricaded around all 4 sides to provide wind break around the bottom.
They have all been fine.
I did loose one hen about 3 weeks ago. It was into nearly double digit negative temp due to very high winds (gusts over 55mph). But I think her problem was she was egg bound. The hens stayed mostly in the tractor for the 2 days prior to her demise. I did daily head counts but with them clustered in the back there was no way for me to see if she was in distress.
I hated to loose her period, but especially because she was one of only 4 hens I’d selected for breeding in the spring.
But, like I said... both before and since all the others have done fine.

It’s been in the single digits, even into minus numbers here.
I have mine in an above ground chicken tractor with hardware cloth floor. The roof and sides are solid. I’ve barricaded around all 4 sides to provide wind break around the bottom.
They have all been fine.
I did loose one hen about 3 weeks ago. It was into nearly double digit negative temp due to very high winds (gusts over 55mph). But I think her problem was she was egg bound. The hens stayed mostly in the tractor for the 2 days prior to her demise. I did daily head counts but with them clustered in the back there was no way for me to see if she was in distress.
I hated to loose her period, but especially because she was one of only 4 hens I’d selected for breeding in the spring.
But, like I said... both before and since all the others have done fine.
Thank you for your reply. I have read that they will be fine I guess I just needed to hear it again. Thanks again

So last night the temp got in the very low 20s. So am I crazy for worring that my chicky girls are gonna freeze? How cold is to cold for them? They are in a coop where no wind can blow on them,is that enough to keep them safe?

As long as there is plenty enough ventilation they will be fine. People try make coops like fort knox and close them up but that is not good at all because the humidity builds up in closed spaces. That is when you will have problems. The birds really only need wind breaks, food and water.

Welcome! There are a bunch of NCers's here.
smile.png

We're in Wake County, how about you?
Richmond County

I don't know why it is, but I'm hearing more and more friends talking about moving to NC and wanting me and the fam to move out there too. If we get to the point of thinking about moving I'm gonna ask y'all what's so great about living out there!
wink.png
[/QUO
How's that "Tornado Weather" affecting you folks in North Carolina? March 29, 2010 ?

a "Tarheel" (once removed),
-Junkmanme-
old.gif
Once a Tarheel always a tarheel

Back
Top Bottom