North Carolina

With Ian headed our way I've decided that I'm going to keep the birds in during the storm -- more for my own convenience than out of concern for their welfare because they're perfectly capable of deciding how wet they do or don't want to be and they have chicken-level wind-shelter in their run.

But I don't want to get soaked opening and closing the coop. If we had installed the auto-door we got I'd be thinking differently. :D

I'm also going to pick up and secure some of the more wind-vulnerable pieces of run clutter.

What are y'all doing for chicken storm prep?

With Ian headed our way I've decided that I'm going to keep the birds in during the storm -- more for my own convenience than out of concern for their welfare because they're perfectly capable of deciding how wet they do or don't want to be and they have chicken-level wind-shelter in their run.

But I don't want to get soaked opening and closing the coop. If we had installed the auto-door we got I'd be thinking differently. :D

I'm also going to pick up and secure some of the more wind-vulnerable pieces of run clutter.

I am going to tidy the yard up for Ian, but I don't think I will do anything particular about chickens... My coop is small and only for sleep. I will head into the heavy rain to close them up at night.

That's what I did with the storms in 2020, because I had Neuchickenstein. :D
Sorry what is Neuchickenstein? chicken newbies??

I just realized that you are the author that wrote the great article on ventilation. I remember reading a thread on the whole process of your chicken coop building. Glad to learn that you are close to me 🥰

Sorry what is Neuchickenstein? chicken newbies??

I just realized that you are the author that wrote the great article on ventilation. I remember reading a thread on the whole process of your chicken coop building. Glad to learn that you are close to me 🥰

I don't have the coop page finished yet because I wanted to use it for a year to get a good handle on pros, cons, and modifications needed, but Neuchickenstein is my big, Open Air coop that's shown in my hot climate article here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

No chickens here yet, but I'd be considering options if I did.

@fuzzi I am about 20 mins from Greenville in Edgecombe Co.
Howdy neighbor! :frow I shop in Greenville.

The wind has been really gusting today.

We will just close up the coop tonight at dark as usual and brave the rain in the morning. It's only about 60 ft from the back door. We need to add an auto door too! @3KillerBs Would be nice about now!

The interesting thing for us is I've been integrating some birds this week and tonight is the night we wanted to let them all sleep in the main coop for the first time. So I will really need to be there to let them out shortly after day break. Hmmm, going to be an interesting morning for sure. They've been doing okay in the run together but returning to their own coops at night. I think we will go ahead with the plan. :fl

My babies are all grown up! :)

P1150860.JPG

Back
Top Bottom