North Carolina

dutch bunny, If you wont cull all, don't cull any right away. You might be able to save them and then keep a closed flock. But chances are that some will die, no matter what. Some will live but be carriers for the rest of their lives. And since your old flock is infected it doesn't matter on keeping them separated at this point as most CRDS are spread by contact with mucus and the feather dander from the infected. Good luck

Sigh, thank you!
I'm so grateful for the wealth of knowledge this site as provided me with.
I just wish I had seen something about the quaranteening or adding adult birds, I never would have done it. In retrospect it's common sense, but I just never even thought about it until it was too late.

I have a closed flock question: The chicks in my brooder that are about 2 weeks old. They've never been outside or around the other chickens, I usually keep them in my downstairs bathtub until 1 month old.
They are from a certified hatchery mail order chicks.
What do I do with all of them?

Good early afternoon everyone!
No chicken news here at the Meadows!!

Went for my OB appointment and the baby is already in the head down position (not that that means ANYTHING) and this is the FIRST time they have told me that if anything happens after 34 weeks, they will allow me to progress on my own!!
celebrate.gif
Those of you who are prayer warriors....PLEASE pray for June 13!! That would only be a few weeks early and it would allow DD1 to keep her own birthday!! LOL

Dutchbunny: I have no wisdom to offer, but know that I am sending you lots of hugs for support and comfort as you deal with this!!
hugs.gif

well you can count them infected if you messed with them after you messed with anything the outside flock has messed with and didn't wash your hands really good and change clothes before you messed with the chicks. Start doing them before the outside birds. once old enough you can mix them in but they will probably go through the same thing as the current outside flock, so be ready for it.

I'm so excited! I have been doing a lot of reading up on raising baby chicks and I have decided to try it out. I figured that since I have a light course load for the summer semester I can take this on, plus my kids will be home all summer. I ordered all my supplies and they will be arriving tomorrow. My baby chicks, all eight of them, will be mailed out on June 10th. I am getting 2 EEs and 6 Barred Plymouth Rocks. My DH plans to expand the coop and run over the next few weeks, so once they are ready to go out with my girls they'll be enough room.

All of these problems that Dutchbunny is having is making me a little scared to even go to Carolina ChickenStock this weekend.

What do y'all suggest about looking for birds to add to a flock at an event like this? Would you suggest not buying anything at all? What precautions should I take? Should I only buy from certain people? What should I look for?

I'm just trying to learn from Dutchbunny's situation so it won't happen to my flock. I'm so sorry for what you are having to go through.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions!

Carol Ann
and her beginner flock of Silver Laced Cochins :)

I use a brinsea eco 20. Trim butt fluff, on the birds, check for mites, and are you seeing the boys do their deed?
Have trimmed, no mites(killed those suckers!!!) and yes I have seen them in action. Could it be possbile my Orp roo is too big for my girls? He is a big guy. I have also have bought eggs from others and put in my bator and still no luck. I have 5 broodies right now....WISH I had eggs for them.
hmm.png

All of these problems that Dutchbunny is having is making me a little scared to even go to Carolina ChickenStock this weekend.

What do y'all suggest about looking for birds to add to a flock at an event like this? Would you suggest not buying anything at all? What precautions should I take? Should I only buy from certain people? What should I look for?

I'm just trying to learn from Dutchbunny's situation so it won't happen to my flock. I'm so sorry for what you are having to go through.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions!

Carol Ann
and her beginner flock of Silver Laced Cochins :)
From my experience I've learned they need to be quarentined, and not just in separate pens on the other side of the yard.
I'll be honest with you, which my experience may be a somewhat rare occurance I'm not sure, I will NEVER buy adult chickens again.
I don't know I'm just so sick over the whole situation and I'm hating myself for not being educated enough going into it to bring disease into my flock.
I have 5 that look like they will be dead within the next few hours and all the rest are really sick. Waiting for antibiotics to kick in but nothing.
Honestly if I lose them all,I think it will be awhile before starting with new chickens. My chickens are all pets and I was super close to a few they were like family members.
If you do get adult birds, just make sure they aren't anywhere around your existing birds for a month.
This is the hardest lesson I've ever learned and all I feel like doing right now is lying in bed and crying :(
Praying that no one else goes through this, and hopefully this extreme loss will enlighten someone else new to adding chickens like I was and avoid another family and flock from the heartbreak.

From my experience I've learned they need to be quarentined, and not just in separate pens on the other side of the yard.
I'll be honest with you, which my experience may be a somewhat rare occurance I'm not sure, I will NEVER buy adult chickens again.
I don't know I'm just so sick over the whole situation and I'm hating myself for not being educated enough going into it to bring disease into my flock.
I have 5 that look like they will be dead within the next few hours and all the rest are really sick. Waiting for antibiotics to kick in but nothing.
Honestly if I lose them all,I think it will be awhile before starting with new chickens. My chickens are all pets and I was super close to a few they were like family members.
If you do get adult birds, just make sure they aren't anywhere around your existing birds for a month.
This is the hardest lesson I've ever learned and all I feel like doing right now is lying in bed and crying :(
Praying that no one else goes through this, and hopefully this extreme loss will enlighten someone else new to adding chickens like I was and avoid another family and flock from the heartbreak.
Everytime I buy new adult birds the go in quarantine. I worm and use duramyacin in the water regardless how good they look. Even if I take birds to a flock swap and don't sell them all and have to bring them home they get quarantined. I'm wierd but our birds get baths once a month or so (my GF thinks they look better?) There's just a bunch of unknowns when getting new birds.....just my 2 cents tho

Back
Top Bottom