North Carolina

Chris
I grew up in Shallotte. Small world. Now I am a mtn woman. Yikes. Best beaches but I prefer the mtns cooler weather and better growing weather. Its easier on my full size hens too.
Yes it is small world. Me and wife are planning on retiring down there.

Sorry, I should have read further before I responded.

I was told you need baby chicks to teach your baby turkeys to eat and drink. Now this could be wrong, my neighbour use to have a farm. Check into this to be sure.[/quoteSorry, I should of read further before I responded.

Last edited:
It sounds like she might be egg bound.
hmm.png

I dealt with this a couple of weeks ago.... from what I researched she needs calcium.... all I had on hand was tums/w calcium... I gave her tums water and fed her scrambled eggs with crushed tums, yogurt and the shell crushed up very good. The calcium is supposed to help her pass the egg. You need to soak her bottom in warm water for 30 minutes. We did that while massaging the egg towards the vent.... do not push up into her body as it might damage her organs.... you should be able to feel the egg... grasp from the sides and massage it towards her rear end.

Anyways... none of that worked for us... we even tried to suck the inside of the egg out by poking a needle in the egg... FAIL
Hubby had to tap the egg with a hammer and bust it inside and we put her on antibiotics (tylan 50) for 4 days.... and prayed for the best.
She has since passed the egg fragments and is back outside.... doing well.

Great job caring for your egg-bound hen!

Personally I've never liked clipping wings.
I live in a neighborhood in the city limits of Fayetteville and have a 5 1/2ft wooden fence around the yard and a 3ft wrought iron fence from my breezeway entering the backyard.
Mine never tried to escape and they easily could have.
I think they just associated it with home and food and the rest of the flock, and I never had one wander off.
My personal opinion is before jumping to cut their wings, let them free range while you are home and watching them.  That way if one did try to escape, you'd be right there. 
Also, I'm not sure on your set up, but make sure you leave the coop/run open so they can go back in it and have constant access to their food and water.

Thank you! I'm so worried about trying it. I have two very flighty birds (EE & Black Australorp) they hate to be touched. In Cary we aren't supposed to free range but I thought that if I'm out with them on the weekends it would be fine. The chicken coop is large with a 17 foot run however I've noticed there is hardly any sun where they are:( ya I don't want to clip their wings but also don't want them escaping.

Oh, I've got a blue Isbar rooster, a pretty jaerhon roo, a black Americana that is from a beautiful blue line, and a wyandotte roo that was supposed to be blue laced red but he came out black laced red, I guess.... Not sure how you say his coloring. I also have a rhodebar too that is a cool mix of coloring. I would have to send you a pic. They are all about 6 mos old.
Angela

Hmmmm those are great choices!! As much as I'd love to have Isbars....I think the Black AM would work great for me. I can use him to make sex link blue egg layers!

Great job caring for your egg-bound hen!
thumbsup.gif
thanks.... it's a good thing to really look at your birds daily... to know their personalities, so that you can tell when they are "a little bit off". Because that is the real trick to catching sickness, diseases, problems, etc. before it gets so far out of hand... that you cannot save the bird.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

it appears Monday arrived early for us and
it's the proverbial one to boot..........was losing
serious water pressure last night so after some
looking for the problem we find a burst water pipe
and now the laundry room is flooded..........guess
that floor is getting mopped today
gig.gif

hope everyone has a good day
caf.gif

Back