North Carolina

Mine already learned in 2 days not to utter the word bored.
lau.gif
big_smile.png

Saw this in FB:

I love that! I'll have to remember that the next time mine start complaining.

Checked on my broody. 4 of her 8 eggs are pipped (?) and peeps from the 5 larger eggs. Her 3 eggs I dont think are fertile, but will know soon I guess. We are hoping one of the brown eggs are from Alford.
How long does it take for chicks to hatch?

I moved our last group of chicks out of the bathroom and into a building today. It seems so quiet in here, we have had chicks inside since the end of April. :(

Can't wait to move chicks outside.

Update on ILT: The local state vet field worker said that I should just vaccinate with the eye drop vaccine, wait 45 days and do whatever I please because everyone who owns chickens for any amount of time in this state will encounter ILT at some point. There is a vector out there in the environment which has not been identified. If I culled my whole flock and started over, I would probably encounter it again at some point.

Many of you have probably already experienced ILT in your flock and just attributed it to something upper respiratory, you've taken your losses and maybe experienced it again in the flock as you've added or subtracted but assumed it was mycoplasmosis or something else.

Upon speaking to my friend who is a poultry vet and who's brain I can pick in a very frank and honest manner, she suggested at least giving the eye dropper vaccine, the Mareks vaccine and any other available vaccines and then ALWAYS putting up some kind of barrier between my own and other chickens at shows. She suggested I quarantine any new birds and any birds returning from shows or swaps for at least 60 days. She also suggested that I seriously reconsider actually showing my best birds and just show their offspring or birds that I wish to sell.

Luckily, I am past the last of my sick birds, I lost five out of my 60. I have a few with secondary infections to whom I am giving doxycycline (this is working great and its easily obtained via ebay as a fish medication, but it comes in the same units that you would put in your chickens water. If you need dosing info, just PM me. You can also get baytril (ciprofloxacin, fishflox) via ebay). None of my bantams got it and neither of my adult ameraucanas got it. Several of my laying hens never came down with symptoms. Neither, of course, did my turkeys or ducks.

Still researching a good and safer method of vaccine, I have my vet friend on it, so we'll see. I'll let everyone know what the best vaccine I come up with is and maybe some of us can split the vaccine.

Today is a sad day for me (not tragic sad, just depressing sad). Last night we found THREE duck eggs in the pile of marked eggs, so I guess it's "official" that our duck is NOT broody. Perhaps she was experimenting with nesting, or perhaps she was just curious....not sure. I have still seen her sit on the "nest" that she made (complete with 10 eggs of questionable fertility) in the middle of the day and at night, but for the rest of the time she's out and about free ranging (which means she is sitting on my deck railing waiting for me to offer up any treats I might have).
I was really hoping she was broody because 30-35 days from when she started showing "signs" would have been right around my DD's 3rd birthday and that would have made her SO excited (especially since she isn't getting a "typical" present to open...we bought the family a play-set so there are no "gifts" to open this year aside from the few things mommy actually sews - IF mommy EVER gets to them!! LOL). Anyway, I was really disappointed and haven't broken the news to DD yet...I figured it would be another good time to explain to her about the beauty of life. Perhaps it's all for the best, she can't get a new sibling AND a yard full of ducklings, right?!? LOL

Hollow - any news for us re: your dad? Still praying for him!!

Hope everyone has a GREAT day today!!

Good Morning, Happy Chicken People!

We have done initial check-in at the hospital. Just waiting for them to take Daddy back and fix him!

I'll check in when we get home, for sure.

Have an awesome day!

Back
Top Bottom