North Carolina

Good morning folks
frow.gif

here it is Friday and a 3 day weekend too
celebrate.gif

no plans here for anything but I will enjoy the
extra day off. I do hope to work in a ride this
weekend and a few things around the yard.
I might even dig out a goldfish pond........... if
I get super energetic
lau.gif

hope everyone has a good day
wee.gif

Friday :)
3 day weekend!! Looking forward to RELAXING! The past two weeks have been a blur!

One of my birds decided to lay on the coop floor the past two days. Evidently she is confused. I need some golf balls in the nest boxes I guess.

Hope everyine has a great weekend!

Your sumatra makes me want sumatras. What is the temperment like?
They can fly very well. If not handled alot they can be flighty, but if handled some they are not bad. I don't handle mine alot, and I have been bit a time or two by them, but nothing bad. The roosters should get more than one spur per leg, the hens can have spurs also. I have had some of my hens go broody and some that haven't.

Here's a picture of the same rooster's leg, showing his spurs at 1 yr old. If you look close you can see 5 spur nubs, and if I remember right he has another 1 or 2 spots that could become spurs

Last edited:
Hi everyone!!!

Hope it's not super hot out, I have a bunch of stuff I want to get done outside over this long weekend!
Checked on my eggs this morning, 1 more week I'm getting super excited!!!

Also, I have grown super attached to one of my freedom rangers my son named Gigantor. But he's a rooster so I can't keep him anyway. :( I'm really happy with them thusfar, someone else had recently ordered them, but I'm sorry I can't remember who. I was wondering how yours are doing???

Hi everyone!!!

Hope it's not super hot out, I have a bunch of stuff I want to get done outside over this long weekend!
Checked on my eggs this morning, 1 more week I'm getting super excited!!!

Also, I have grown super attached to one of my freedom rangers my son named Gigantor. But he's a rooster so I can't keep him anyway. :( I'm really happy with them thusfar, someone else had recently ordered them, but I'm sorry I can't remember who. I was wondering how yours are doing???
frow.gif
That was me...we ordered 50 - traded 10 out and have 41 left (hehe...they sent us 51 in case you all were questioning my math abilities...which I wouldn't blame you if you did!! LOL) We have kept them inside (well, in our screened in porch) in a rubbermaid type tub while waiting for the hubby to finish their living quarters. Looks like he's going to have to finish this weekend as they are already big enough to almost jump out of the tub. I saw one that was smart enough to actually piggy back another chicken and it just sat up there on the edge - THANKFULLY it did not jump down and run around the porch... They do eat like crazy, but what do you expect, right? We're hoping to keep 5 chickens once they grow up - 1 rooster and 4 hens so we can have a constant supply of meat birds (oh yeah...DH wants to buy an incubator to accomplish this...I voted for buying a few cochins to sit on them, but I was over ruled!!
hit.gif
). Once they get outside and set up, I will be sure to take a picture of them (just know that there are 5 other chicks in there that were meant for broody mama, but she rejected them!!). I THINK they are starting to get some feathers in as they look a little funny right now - and well, I've never really raised any chicks, so I am not sure what they look like at stages. I'm use to seeing the fluff when the mama has them and before I blink, they are bigger and mama no longer sits on them.
lau.gif

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

frow.gif
That was me...we ordered 50 - traded 10 out and have 41 left (hehe...they sent us 51 in case you all were questioning my math abilities...which I wouldn't blame you if you did!! LOL) We have kept them inside (well, in our screened in porch) in a rubbermaid type tub while waiting for the hubby to finish their living quarters. Looks like he's going to have to finish this weekend as they are already big enough to almost jump out of the tub. I saw one that was smart enough to actually piggy back another chicken and it just sat up there on the edge - THANKFULLY it did not jump down and run around the porch... They do eat like crazy, but what do you expect, right? We're hoping to keep 5 chickens once they grow up - 1 rooster and 4 hens so we can have a constant supply of meat birds (oh yeah...DH wants to buy an incubator to accomplish this...I voted for buying a few cochins to sit on them, but I was over ruled!!
hit.gif
). Once they get outside and set up, I will be sure to take a picture of them (just know that there are 5 other chicks in there that were meant for broody mama, but she rejected them!!). I THINK they are starting to get some feathers in as they look a little funny right now - and well, I've never really raised any chicks, so I am not sure what they look like at stages. I'm use to seeing the fluff when the mama has them and before I blink, they are bigger and mama no longer sits on them.
lau.gif

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND EVERYONE!!

That's a good idea! I really wish we could keep our rooster and do that. Looks like we have 3 roos and 9 pullets, but the one is my favorite. Did you get a bunch of different colors, they are so pretty as they feather out! Ours are like 7 weeks I think, I'd have to go back and look at a calender, but they are getting HUGE! They still run around and try to fly and whatnot which is good. They are also WAY more friendly than my "pet" chickens for eggs and we handle them a lot. Going to make processing hard :(

Here's a pic of gigantor my son took this morning (with two of his girls). Sorry it's not so good, it's from my phone.

That's a good idea! I really wish we could keep our rooster and do that. Looks like we have 3 roos and 9 pullets, but the one is my favorite. Did you get a bunch of different colors, they are so pretty as they feather out! Ours are like 7 weeks I think, I'd have to go back and look at a calender, but they are getting HUGE! They still run around and try to fly and whatnot which is good. They are also WAY more friendly than my "pet" chickens for eggs and we handle them a lot. Going to make processing hard :(

Here's a pic of gigantor my son took this morning (with two of his girls). Sorry it's not so good, it's from my phone.
Wow!! He is nice and big...can't wait to see how ours will turn out!! We ordered them from Freedom Ranger Hatchery (WONDERFUL PEOPLE!!) in PA and they do not sell by color, just whatever hatches on the day you choose. So for us, it'll be a surprise!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom