North Carolina

Dark Brahma you say?? IF you decide to downsize to a few select breeds and your Brahma isn't one of them I may take her in for you.
smile.png
Possibly your Orpingtons too. We're planning on getting some of those come spring anyway.
Well unfortunetely our poor dark Brahma passed away...
hit.gif
She broke her wing a few weeks back and it never fully recovered. Possibly about the orpingtons if we have to cut back. NOT MY SPLASH THOUGH! She is my little baby! I've decided though that I really love our Silver Laced Wyandottes and might possibly of thinking of getting roo to get chicks... Maybe the welsummer too... maybe. I love our RIRs but I have absolutely detested all of our previous roos! When I was three our roo was vicious and would literally tackle me if I walked near the barn! Every other RIR roo we've had has been mean so no RIR roos.... NONE. Sorry about rambling but I guess I'm trying to narrow down the breeds I might want to downsize too through my rambling. I might try more marans because I liked our previous hens, not our roo, but our current cockerel is nothing like his daddy!!!! He is the sweetest little thing I could ever have!!!!!! His sister isn't as nice, but still really friendly.

Anyways.... Can someone explain how much fermented feed they feed their birds? I have started fermented feed and then I give them some each morning and whenever they run out give them a little bit of pellets... They still act like I'm starving them and I'm giving them quite a bit of fermented feed! Is there some sort of specific feed to bird ratio?

Also, I'm still not getting any eggs!! I get an occasional two but thats all! I can tell our RIRs are still molting because I can see that their heads are still replacing feathers, but all our other girls look fine!!! That or they are just not really showing their molt in their body or their head like the RIRs. But its been about a month and a half to two months with no eggs! I'm starting to feel like I'm going something wrong! Plus store bought eggs are disgusting!!!

Oh and can someone tell me about Blue Isbars and these super blue egg layers I've been hearing about? Because one thing I've been thinking about doing is maybe having one main brown egg layer, one white layer, and a blue egg layer.... Then of course our bantams.... but then I am also kind of thinking of having a specific breed or two that my mom really likes, then a breed or two I really like, then our egg purpose birds. Then our bantams... I don't know!!! Its all too confusing, all I know is that I want a nice variety of eggs and it's just going to take some time to decide on the birds.
-
Anyone have any advice?! Not even sure this will make sense to anyone since it's just kind of bunched up and confusing... All I can say is its been a long day with a few hours of homework, a four hour practice, and four tests in school (100% on two, 98% on one and the other we just aren't going to speak of...
somad.gif
). Ugh! Anyway thanks to you all!

hit.gif
She broke her wing a few weeks back and it never fully recovered. Possibly about the orpingtons if we have to cut back. NOT MY SPLASH THOUGH! So sorry to hear about your Brahma!! Keep me posted on the Orpingtons, anything you don't want I can help you find a home for. If not with me, then I know a couple people that would be interested I'm sure. She is my little baby! I've decided though that I really love our Silver Laced Wyandottes and might possibly of thinking of getting roo to get chicks... Maybe the welsummer too... maybe. I love our RIRs but I have absolutely detested all of our previous roos! When I was three our roo was vicious and would literally tackle me if I walked near the barn! Every other RIR roo we've had has been mean so no RIR roos.... NONE. Sorry about rambling but I guess I'm trying to narrow down the breeds I might want to downsize too through my rambling. I might try more marans because I liked our previous hens, not our roo, but our current cockerel is nothing like his daddy!!!! He is the sweetest little thing I could ever have!!!!!! His sister isn't as nice, but still really friendly.

Anyways.... Can someone explain how much fermented feed they feed their birds? I have started fermented feed and then I give them some each morning and whenever they run out give them a little bit of pellets... They still act like I'm starving them and I'm giving them quite a bit of fermented feed! Is there some sort of specific feed to bird ratio? From what I've gleaned off of the meat bird thread on here, most ppl seem to be giving as much as they can eat in 15 minutes twice a day and then either free ranging or giving pellets the rest of the day. Should take them about a week or two to get adjusted to the FF. Just be patient, it'll pay off in the long run.

Also, I'm still not getting any eggs!! I get an occasional two but thats all! I can tell our RIRs are still molting because I can see that their heads are still replacing feathers, but all our other girls look fine!!! That or they are just not really showing their molt in their body or their head like the RIRs. But its been about a month and a half to two months with no eggs! I'm starting to feel like I'm going something wrong! Plus store bought eggs are disgusting!!! I have to agree about the store bought eggs. Plus I feel like I have to apologize to all of chickendom every time I buy them, or store bought chicken. Maybe they just got an early start on their winter vacation? I'm not the best person to ask on that one. Maybe make sure they are getting more light in the morning to make up for the shorter days? Hope you get it fixed!

Oh and can someone tell me about Blue Isbars and these super blue egg layers I've been hearing about? Because one thing I've been thinking about doing is maybe having one main brown egg layer, one white layer, and a blue egg layer.... Then of course our bantams.... but then I am also kind of thinking of having a specific breed or two that my mom really likes, then a breed or two I really like, then our egg purpose birds. Then our bantams... I don't know!!! Its all too confusing, all I know is that I want a nice variety of eggs and it's just going to take some time to decide on the birds. I think I counted like eight diff categories there hun.
tongue.png
I know it's tough to choose. Why do you have chickens in the first place? Eggs? Meat? Showing? Just because they're fun? Once you can answer that, you can start thinking about which breeds serve that purpose best. Factor in the benefits vs. cost and you'll have it. There are very few breeds that I wouldn't like to have, but it's just not financially feasible to have that many chickens being fed. Moreover, the more breeds you have to breed the worse off your end product will be since you won't be able to devote the proper time to each breed for selection etc. Esp. with school, jobs, family and a human social life.
old.gif

-
Anyone have any advice?! Not even sure this will make sense to anyone since it's just kind of bunched up and confusing... All I can say is its been a long day with a few hours of homework, a four hour practice, and four tests in school (100% on two, 98% on one and the other we just aren't going to speak of...
somad.gif
). Ugh! Anyway thanks to you all! CONGRATULATIONS ON THE TWO TESTS!!
highfive.gif

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Today is the day of my favorite morning activity........
yard sale day!!!!
wee.gif

I love seeing what I can find at a yard sale..........it's not
often I buy things but I love finding the oddities, the
unique things......I guess that's why I love browsing those
antique and whatnot shops.......it's hard to pass one by
if I have the time to browse. I have seen some unique items
and heard some great stories.
clap.gif

hope everyone has a good day
pop.gif

hit.gif

Sorry for you loss!

Anyways.... Can someone explain how much fermented feed they feed their birds? I have started fermented feed and then I give them some each morning and whenever they run out give them a little bit of pellets... They still act like I'm starving them and I'm giving them quite a bit of fermented feed! Is there some sort of specific feed to bird ratio?
I don't have my young pullets on FF, but I was feeding all my meat birds & my turkeys only fermented feed. 2 pans twice a day. I would mix it up in an 18 gallon storage tote using 25lbs of feed each time I made it and it would last me a week. Supplementing with free range and all my kitchen scraps. I don't know how it varies with layers, but I was told with meat birds to figure out how much they need feed just enough that they leave a little behind so they are full.

Oh and can someone tell me about Blue Isbars and these super blue egg layers I've been hearing about? Because one thing I've been thinking about doing is maybe having one main brown egg layer, one white layer, and a blue egg layer.... Then of course our bantams.... but then I am also kind of thinking of having a specific breed or two that my mom really likes, then a breed or two I really like, then our egg purpose birds. Then our bantams... I don't know!!! Its all too confusing, all I know is that I want a nice variety of eggs and it's just going to take some time to decide on the birds.
Blue Isbars lay a large green colored egg. Most the lines here originated from Greenfire Farms. They can hatch blue, black or splash as with all Blue gened chickens. Really pretty birds. I had 4, but a predator got them. I have 4 more Isbar eggs going in today, if you want I can take a picture of the egg so you can see the color. Trying to find like 8 or so for sale, but the prices on the eggs are really high. First time I paid $46 for 6 and 3 hatched. To buy straight run chicks straight from Greenfire they are $99 a piece!
I am new to Super Blue Layers, but they're going into the incubator today too. The hatch out of a white egg because the mom is a White Leghorn, but the father is an Ameraucana which carries the blue egg gene so the offspring lays a light blue egg in mass quantities like a leghorn. The color of the birds are white with some dark on them. I would assume you can't breed them together, you need to make them directly with one leghorn mom and one ameraucana dad.

My goal was to have a small flock of all girls that are really different & pretty to look at and lay a variety of eggs-- I have Lavender Orpington, Blue Copper Marans, Exchecquer Leghorn, Golden Laced Wyandotte, EE, frizzled Olive Egger & in the bator Swedish Flower Hen, Blue Bredas, Isbars, Marradunna Basques (new one to me they came with the Isbars) & Blue Salmon Favorelles.

Just popping on to say hello to everyone! Chicks are doing well, getting big. Excited to see how big they "finish" out at. Not much else is going on - just been busy with 3 youngsters and a hubby who has been working some CRAZY hours!
I've been gone enough to have 30+ pages to read and after about 10, I'll admit to giving up. Sorry!!
Welcome to any new people I might have missed.
Sorry to any of you who experienced any losses!
Congratulations to those of you with successful hatches!
2 Sesslers - CONGRATULATIONS on the twins!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Good morning! I've got a question, my barred rock has a swollen toe. I didn't notice it yesterday, but this morning it's very obvious. She isn't limping and hasn't allowed me to touch her (I will continue to try). Just from a glance it looks like her feet are lighter than usual, my first thought was bumble foot. I've never dealt with anything like this so I wanted some experienced advice as what to do.

Well I finally got a deer! A young buck ran straight into the front passenger side of my van. That mirror is gone, the front passenger fender is dented really bad ( front passenger door don't open), messed up that window and the windshield, bent and moved the antenna, dented the heck outta the side passenger door (this one still opens), and small dents in the rear passenger fender and the hood of the van. Unfortunately he died, but his body wont go to waste.

Wondering how Kae Pasa would do pulling a buggy ???? :/

Last edited:
Well I finally got a deer! A young buck ran straight into the front passenger side of my van. That mirror is gone, the front passenger door is dented really bad ( don't open), messed up that window and the windshield, bent and moved the antenna, dented the heck outta the side passenger door (this one still opens), and small dents in the rear passenger fender and the hood of the van. Unfortunately he died, but his body wont go to waste.

Wondering how Kae Pasa would do pulling a buggy ????
hmm.png

ep.gif
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom