North Carolina

Oh my god Tia, Did you lose the pair I gave you? I may have a replacement pair for you if you need one. Let me know. I also have some sizzles hatching this week. Let me know if you need help looking. I have some time tomorrow morning, I could ride out and help you look. You should check with Brandon at animal control, people who find chickens sometimes report them to animal control or the humane society, you may even try the Outer Banks Wildilfe Shelter, sometimes people bring rabbits and chickens there. Let me know if you want me to put any eggs in the incubator for you.

Whew it is COLD up here!!! Wind is blowing like crazy. Hope it's better back home, I'm worried about my birds!

Welcome to all the newbies!

Tia-- that is crazy! Sorry for your losses, glad you found some of them. Glad your family and home is ok!

Anyone planning on doing black Friday shopping, kohl's has all their doorbusters available online right now while supplies last plus an extra 20% discount with code 20FORU. Sitting here enjoying a pumpkin martini by the fire doing some shopping!

RF- thnking about doing a heritage next year to eat (I loathe these meat bred turkeys we have!) how long does it take the toms to be a good size to dress?

Also, the hatchery websites all say non- all white birds when you dress have black spots all over them, is that not the case?

And how many days ahead do you process and let rest?

The tom in the picture was actually a young BBB cross (I think 4 months old in that picture) He dressed out at 29 lbs if I remember right and was probably 40 lbs live, I kept him on a diet so I could breed him. Shortly after I got some poults off of him, he broke his upper thigh bone and had to be put down. He was under a year old. I managed to get a son who ended up with the BB gene and is huge, he's being used for breeding more dinners.
big_smile.png
My BBB cross wasn't bad, with limiting his feed and free ranging him he did well. He broke his leg though by turning too quickly (sometimes he didn't like his head petted and would turn away from you). When it comes to doing them in one needs to think of how big they want the bird and take into account the weight of feathers, guts and the other parts you don't eat.

The black spots the hatchery talks about is due to the plucking of the feathers. Some of the feather stuff might not come out all the way but if you squeeze it, the stuff comes right out. It happens with the whites also, you just don't see it as well. But the skin, meat and all are the same no matter the color of feathers.
wink.png

We did ours up this past Saturday and let them sit in the fridge till oven time.

Back
Top Bottom