North Carolina

Hi, I've been a member for some time, but have just never really gotten around to posting.

I adopted a flock of older girls last year when some friends were changing duty stations (I live close to Ft Bragg). They are New Hampshire Reds and were 3-4 years old when they came to me laying their fool heads off. I started with six, but due to a racoon or possum, Drumstick's drumstick was eaten and my remaining girls were traumatized. I placed full blame on the boyfriend, since he named her, thus sealing her fate.

After the night time coop raid, I revamped their coop with new wire and a newly designed door. My father was awesome enough to get in there with me to help tear it out and put in new wire. I can officially say that my coop (that came with the birds and is completely upcycled save for the new wire) is held together by chicken wire, a few screws, and a big wish. It was quite rickety, but getting new wire all around really seemed to make it much more sturdy.

So now I have my five girls and it's either time to find them a home or put them in the pot. As such, I'm giving them a bit of extra spoiling with some warm mashes (especially in the COLD weather we've experienced lately) and worms. They of course have free reign of the yard and rule the compost pile with an iron claw.

I've started putting out feelers for new hens, perhaps pullets, and met a fellow BYC member who encouraged me to post here, so here I am.

I'd love input into what specific breeds you all enjoy here in NC. I've been fond of my girls and grew up with silkies and Rhode Island Reds, but I'd like to branch out a bit and get some friendlier birds that are great layers. Since I got mine so advanced in age, they were never properly socialized, though they quickly learned to come running when I called since I always have good things to eat. They're still skittish which bums me out because we always handled our chickens and they were very social and friendly.

I really want a Brahma as a pet to keep forever and love until she goes, and as for the rest, I've been looking into Barred Rocks. I really do want birds that will thrive in this climate, lay well, and be well behaved (and can handle chasing off a squirrel). I look forward to hearing who has what in this area, and where I can find some good, healthy birds that I can welcome into my backyard.

I have a pair of Brahmas and love them to pieces. They were total lap babies growing up but now that they are maturing they are less impressed with me. Although I am out there less with the weather being so cold. They still come up to me and hang around but unless I have a treat in hand they're more likely to mill about than let me pet them. Also love my EE pair. She just started laying and has given me an egg a day all but once so far. Both hen and roo are gorgeous and total sweethearts. My Orps and Stars are still youngun's and seem timid but generally good. My only complaint about them so far is that the Orps all look pretty much identical. Had a couple Delawares that I loved too, but thanks to the neighbor dogs they aren't with us any more. Will be getting more in the spring. All of my flock get along great with my boys (3 and 5) and each other. I have two roos (an EE and a Brahma) and they both get along with each other just fine even though I only have 9 girls - and most of them are 'under age'.

Anyway, those are the only ones I have experience with, but I highly recommend all five breeds. Also on my to get list are Polish, Sussex and maybe some Wyandottes. And RIR's. And Minorcas. And Hollands. And Dorkings.... Maybe I need another coop....

i got my hens friday and have gotten an egg both yesterday and today from one of them they are 19 weeks old and so sweet tho one still needs to learn to roost with the other girl and my Roo if anyone can tell me why she is still sleeping on the floor of my coop and not on the roost i would much appreciate it
my new girls with my Roo in the background

the girls Snow and Fawn

Fawn (very vocal)

munch munch munch

forgot to add my father and i are adding a 5'6 foot tall fence around it and hawk netting over top to give more stretching room

Last edited:
i got my hens friday and have gotten an egg both yesterday and today from one of them they are 19 weeks old and so sweet tho one still needs to learn to roost with the other girl and my Roo if anyone can tell me why she is still sleeping on the floor of my coop and not on the roost i would much appreciate it

the girls Snow and Fawn

Fawn (very vocal)

munch munch munch

forgot to add my father and i are adding a 5'6 foot tall fence around it and hawk netting over top to give more stretching room
VERY pretty hens! what type! ill look into them!

I have 5 birds.....1 of which sleeps on a roost...the others including my roos in a nesting box. normally people expect all chickens to roost at night, but some chickens don't really prefer it. for example, my silkies DONT roost. not many silkies do. their 5 toes makes it unconfertable to balance, and with no flight feathers, it doesn't do them any good!

its fine if they don't end up roosting....none of my 6 previous astralorps ever rroosted in their coop!

the girls Snow and Fawn

Fawn (very vocal)

munch munch munch

congrats on the new girls
thumbsup.gif

they are pretty!!!

they are white leghorns and so sweet right now love them to death
Are these Shook Poultry Leghorns? Of all the breeds I have bought from Roger I have never bought Leghorns.

I would sit them on the roost at night till they learn. Probably wouldn't take more then a couple nights. Leghorns are normally fairly smart and normally like to roost up high.

Matt

Are these Shook Poultry Leghorns? Of all the breeds I have bought from Roger I have never bought Leghorns.

I would sit them on the roost at night till they learn. Probably wouldn't take more then a couple nights. Leghorns are normally fairly smart and normally like to roost up high.

Matt
Yea Matt they are Roger's hoping to head out there later in the year and pick up some golden comments after i build up my new fencing :D

Back
Top Bottom