North Carolina

Man, this is a busy thread.  :)  I think I am caught up after the weekend.  Sbrooks, good luck with your roo.  .  

We lost a pretty young welsummer pullet yesterday mysteriously and our neighbor emailed this morning (after we'd left for work, of course) to let us know he saw the largest fox he'd ever seen in our yard.  So I guess that mystery is solved.  We normally free-range our chickens, but we do have a large run that we can put them in if needed.  I guess I will put the roof on the run tonight and keep whoever is left in the coop/run until the fox is either dealt-with or gets bored and gives up.

Any idea how long it takes for a fox to give up and move on to another area?  I like them free-ranging most of the time and don't mind an occasional loss... However, we keep them in the run when there are known issues like this.  
fox is bad news sneaky little devils that's why I have my pit between the coop and woods between the foxes, coyotes and stray dogs I'm not taking chances

Quote: We mixed it to the food. It acts like sand paper, and scrapes the the exterior of the insects, and larva when birds ingest them. They are happy in general, as long as they are able to take a real dust bath. If there is a lot of rain, be sure they have a dry area that they can bath in the sand.
wee.gif

Look at what I'm getting for my birthday hatching as we speak 9 more to go (I'm 28 today and I think I saw some dust in my shorts this morning lmao)

Last edited:
Haven't checked in since last week so I had a lot of catching up to do and didn't retain much of anything except that I missed a flock swap!! Anyone know if there's one of those closer to Raleigh? I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with any roosters that might come out from under my broody hen :p

Haven't checked in since last week so I had a lot of catching up to do and didn't retain much of anything except that I missed a flock swap!!   Anyone know if there's one of those closer to Raleigh?  I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with any roosters that might come out from under my broody hen :p
eat them sell them or give them to me hahaha

Alrighty, good to know!!! Do you eat them or what? I need a tutorial on taking one from coop to pot *sigh*
I will if I have to but I haven't eatn one of my own birds since I was 17 there's plenty on youtube on how to process your birds I trade my extra roos to the feed store for store credit that I use for chicken feed mostly

Actually, there's no research that ingestion of diatomaceous earth does anything. When used externally, it doesn't work when wet. Inside a digestive tract is pretty wet! Plus, the lining of stomach and intestines is far more delicate than the exterior of internal parasites, so if it could work when wet I would think it would damage the chicken long before the worms.

Back
Top Bottom