North Carolina

Butting in with the dog things... I have 13 dogs. 2 LGD and 11 pampered pooches. Not ONE of my PPs can or will be trusted with any birds or livestock. Their prey drive is 100%.
The LGDs are bred specifically to guard stock and even then..............
roll.png

Hi everyone! Haven't posted in a good long while - lots of random, very little time going on at my house! You may remember a while back that we got an EE hen to add to our little flock...and that the hen eventually CROWED! Yep, she was a rooster. We decided to keep him and name him Victor (for one of my favorite movies, "Victor Victoria" with Julie Andrews). He's grown up to be an incredibly GORGEOUS bird, which has got me thinking. I'm wondering if I should feel sort of bad for keeping those gorgeous genes out of the pool. We're NOT interested in doing the chick thing (and none of our girls are interested in sitting on their eggs, thank goodness), but it occurred to me that someone else might be looking for a fine specimen of rooster-hood. What do you guys think?

The tan one is, Moose, an Anatolian Shepherd. He is only 11 months old and right at 95lbs. Grover is the white one and he is 1/2 Anatolian and 1/2 Great Pyrenese. They are a fabulous team. Grover is the flock dog. He is more mellow and prefers to stay with the goats and cuddles the babies. Moose is HIGHLY reactive to strangers, predators, changes in his "territory".....he is NOT bluffing. He is more of a perimeter dog. He reacts first and hard. Any real threat and Grover is there for back up. I wouldn't want to try to get past these 2. They can handle quite a lot.....and they would perceive that Boxer as a massive threat. ;)

If you want to discuss LGDs more send me a PM and I'll invite you to a REALLY good FB group that is all about learning the breeds, behaviors, training, etc.

Nice! I have not yet seen an Anatolian Shepherd in person but I have seen a good number of Great Pyrenese. They are pretty cool dogs although I have only seen 2 or 3 in a working capacity. It's cool stuff.

I think I might be a part of the facebook group that you are talking about. There are always tons of videos showing these dogs working with their livestock. It's amazing.

Hi everyone! Haven't posted in a good long while - lots of random, very little time going on at my house! You may remember a while back that we got an EE hen to add to our little flock...and that the hen eventually CROWED! Yep, she was a rooster. We decided to keep him and name him Victor (for one of my favorite movies, "Victor Victoria" with Julie Andrews). He's grown up to be an incredibly GORGEOUS bird, which has got me thinking. I'm wondering if I should feel sort of bad for keeping those gorgeous genes out of the pool. We're NOT interested in doing the chick thing (and none of our girls are interested in sitting on their eggs, thank goodness), but it occurred to me that someone else might be looking for a fine specimen of rooster-hood. What do you guys think?

Nice to see you again.
frow.gif
There might be someone looking for a pretty EE rooster, you could try to Craig's list him. Another way to get his genes out there is to sell hatching eggs. But there are alot of EE roosters and hatching eggs floating around, so it might take a little bit. Good luck.

Since Levi has already killed a number of birds, no matter how much training he gets, I would Never trust him with livestock. He'll be competing in obedience trials soon...and I still wouldn't trust him. Training will only go so far to counter what has been bred into them. And I think that we often expect too much along those lines. The trainers I work with who know him and have seen his responses both at home and at our training facility are united in that assessment.

You misread or misunderstood what I posted.
Did I suggest that you let Levi run out the back door tomorrow and never check on him? No.
I suggested that, over time, you can train the dog to at least not get into the chickens when he is supervised. I then said that you should be able to work up to periods of unsupervision, of course this depends on the individual dog, the individual owner, and where the training is at.

Training is not really about going counter/against what they were bred for, not IMO at least. Training is about developing control over the dog's impulses and providing them with acceptable outlets that allow them to entertain those natural drives and desires. Dogs that compete in the protection sports, especially the higher levels, are a great example of this -- they will perform high levels of obedience when what they really want to do is go bite the guy; impulses are controlled during obedience and allowed to be expressed upon command to bite.

I'm not saying that you and your trainers are wrong in your evaluation of Levi as never being a dog that can be unsupervised around chickens. That is possible. There are some dogs like that; I have trained a few of them.

I wish you and Levi good luck in the trial ring. It's fun stuff. My trial season just kicked up two weeks ago too.
Idk what you compete in but maybe we'll run into one another at a dog event one of these days.

Back
Top Bottom