North Carolina

I have a few questions to ask. My husband and I will be closing on our house in a few weeks and shortly after I plan on getting some chickens. We will be moving to James City/New Bern area and I don't know where the best place would be for me to find some chicks. I know for sure I want some Easter eggers, maybe a few dominiques,barred rocks or cuckoo marans, maybe a couple of frizzle cochins as well as a few duck (probably Peking and maybe khaki Campbell's). Are there any harcheries close by or should I just order some online. When I lived in Texas I got my first set of hens from Atwoods and then ordered more from a local hatchery. I know that the hatchery I bought my other chickens has the breeds I am looking for, but they are located in Texas and I am worried about having them shipped (probably in February) during the cold kweather. Merry Christmas all!

Last edited:
I am also considering raising some chickens for meat, but I will not want to do the butchering and processing myself. How do I go about finding a butcher to do it for me? And is it usually cost effective to raise your own meat birds? We are on a tight budget, but I would feel better if I could feed my family with my own healthy chickens that aren't fed arsenic and antibiotic and all that crap.

I have a few questions to ask. My husband and I will be closing on our house in a few weeks and shortly after I plan on getting some chickens. We will be moving to James City/New Bern area and I don't know where the best place would be for me to find some chicks. I know for sure I want some Easter eggers, maybe a few dominiques,barred rocks or cuckoo marans, maybe a couple of frizzle cochins as well as a few duck (probably Peking and maybe khaki Campbell's). Are there any harcheries close by or should I just order some online. When I lived in Texas I got my first set of hens from Atwoods and then ordered more from a local hatchery. I know that the hatchery I bought my other chickens has the breeds I am looking for, but they are located in Texas and I am worried about having them shipped (probably in February) during the cold kweather. Merry Christmas all!

Ideal Hatchery ....I am sure has about everything on your list.

I am also considering raising some chickens for meat, but I will not want to do the butchering and processing myself. How do I go about finding a butcher to do it for me? And is it usually cost effective to raise your own meat birds? We are on a tight budget, but I would feel better if I could feed my family with my own healthy chickens that aren't fed arsenic and antibiotic and all that crap.
I'm not sure but if I remember right I think there is a gentleman in the
Fayetteville area that use to come on here that has a lot of breeds and
sells like a hatchery....kinda sorta. I think it was Greenchickenman????

I can't remember for sure but maybe someone else can help out.
Good luck and Welcome to NC
big_smile.png

I'm not sure but if I remember right I think there is a gentleman in the
Fayetteville area that use to come on here that has a lot of breeds and
sells like a hatchery....kinda sorta. I think it was Greenchickenman????

I can't remember for sure but maybe someone else can help out.
Good luck and Welcome to NC
big_smile.png

Here are three places that I know of that might interest you.

Wicked Chicken Auction - on Wilson Mills Rd. Between Clayton and Smithfield. Every Sunday.

Another auction in Stokes. Can't remember the name. Every 2nd and 4th Saturday each month I think.

There is also a hatchery in Fayetteville
http://fayettevillepoultrychicks.com/

Maybe these will help. Welcome to NC.

If I don't get a chance to check in tomorrow...Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. Happy Festivus, Kwanzaa, or other holiday to those who don't! If you're working, I wish you a calm day at work. If you're sick, I wish you well. If you're sad, I wish you happy.

Catch you after. :)

If I don't get a chance to check in tomorrow...Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. Happy Festivus, Kwanzaa, or other holiday to those who don't! If you're working, I wish you a calm day at work. If you're sick, I wish you well. If you're sad, I wish you happy.

Catch you after. :)
frow.gif
Merry Christmas to you and yours. We will be checking out our grands to see what they got and come on back home to the quietness
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom