North Carolina

Good morning all.

First, I have to say I liked your story CSB and Moss Farm that looks great!

I am hoping for an opinion or three.

I have chickens and ducks and will so have fainting goats (and two horses, two yorkies, four cats and my DD pitt), and I have been losing birds to hawks. I want to get a LGD. I would like to get a Pyrenees. Here is the issue. My other DD decided that she should let her unregistered dogs have puppies. The dad is a dutch shepherd, the mom is a St Bernard, German shepherd cross. She has 12 puppies and is convinced that she can sell them for 200 each. I don't believe that is going to happen, and my hubby thinks that we should take one of hers to keep it out of the pound and that it will do the job of LGD just fine. Even though it is being raised in the city.

I am all for keeping puppies out of pounds, but I also want to protect my livestock. Will one of these puppies be able to be used in this manner?

TIA,
Janelle

Good morning all.

First, I have to say I liked your story CSB and Moss Farm that looks great!

I am hoping for an opinion or three.

I have chickens and ducks and will so have fainting goats (and two horses, two yorkies, four cats and my DD pitt), and I have been losing birds to hawks.  I want to get a LGD.  I would like to get a Pyrenees.  Here is the issue.  My other DD decided that she should let her unregistered dogs have puppies.  The dad is a dutch shepherd, the mom is a St Bernard, German shepherd cross.  She has 12 puppies and is convinced that she can sell them for 200 each.  I don't believe that is going to happen, and my hubby thinks that we should take one of hers to keep it out of the pound and that it will do the job of LGD just fine.  Even though it is being raised in the city.

I am all for keeping puppies out of pounds, but I also want to protect my livestock.  Will one of these puppies be able to be used in this manner?

TIA,
Janelle

I can't really answer your question, but I can tell you that before we could get our husky fixed, she got pregnant by our malamute. We listed the puppies (6 of them) on hoobly for $250 and they all had deposits on them in one week! I'm sure she can sell hers for $200, easy! I wouldn't worry about any of them going to the pound... We listed ours when they were 5 weeks old and let them go to their homes at 8-9 weeks.

Last edited:
Mine eat what they find in the yard, table scraps (organic of course
smile.png
), and bird feed. They used to eat the chicken feed we bought, but since they discovered bird seed dropping from the feeders - they are hooked on that like crack. Doesn't bother me (it's cheap and organic) and they are pumping out the eggs. They eat all day in the yard and that doesn't cost anything.

I didn't know jack about chickens when I started here, and I still don't
hmm.png
, but they are laying eggs. They graze our suburb yard .5 acre lot and are in the coop like clock work - no issues (yet). Four of the six bantam cochins all went broody at once. This is their first year. Our best new friend gave us some fertile eggs. They will be our year 2.5 birds. Time takes care of most everything. Chickens are easy. Thanks!

I think a good LGD is based not on the breed but on the training it has received.

This is actually incorrect. Not just any breed can be trained to guard stock. The breeds that fall under this category still need some training and guidance but are a different type of dog. PLEASE don't put a GSD or non-LGD mixed dog out with your stock. You are asking for trouble. Yes, there are people who don't have problems but they are the very very small minority. A true LGD is worth their weight in gold. I run 2 full time and train other LGD breeds on stock.

This is actually incorrect. Not just any breed can be trained to guard stock. The breeds that fall under this category still need some training and guidance but are a different type of dog. PLEASE don't put a GSD or non-LGD mixed dog out with your stock. You are asking for trouble. Yes, there are people who don't have problems but they are the very very small minority. A true LGD is worth their weight in gold. I run 2 full time and train other LGD breeds on stock.

X2

Good morning. Not so goog for me I'm can't fin any coffee in the house
1f621.png
1f621.png
. The wife went to the store yesterday I thought I told her I need some. Oh well going to get the siding tomorrow and finish the coop. Have a great day

Back
Top Bottom