North Carolina

Have 4 for 4 eggs most days now!! Yay!
We are still waiting on baby Donkey to finish cooking...looks like any day now.
Hope to start on new coop for the big girls soon as foal is a few weeks old.
The spotted Donkey in my avatar missed the chickens so much when they didn't come out of the run for two weeks due to weather he just followed them around sniffing and talking to them for half an hour last week. Animal are funny.

good morning all,
Its popping Spring here in the mtns. too. The maples are turning red tipped with new growth but winter is never far away until after May15th Thats the late frost date here.
My hens are pouring on the eggs. I have been wondering if I need to start selling them instead of giving them away. I have about 5 dozen a wk to many lately and they sure would help with the feed bill. Or maybe pay a bit on a few new types or colors I would like to add. For those who do sell them , how hard is it to do? Bulbs have popped up everywhere around here. Some are surprises since I planted them about and do not remember doing it
hu.gif
Its been a hard winter with sickness but now things seem to be doing better. I can barely wait to get into gardenning again and then canning for next yr. Yumm it is soooo much better when its home pressure canned .or frozen st. from the garden.
Has anyone here ever planted sugar beets(mangels) for their hens to eat in winter?? I just ordered some seed for spring planting and fall winter feeding. If I had the energy I would plant some perennial Alfalfa too. I am about 70 so the garden tractor is off limits right now.
hit.gif
I so wish I were stronger the desire never leaves to do things I should not try anymore. Sigh!! I could hire it done but I need to watch my pennys too. Hope everyone is enjoying this misty Spring weather.

good morning all,
Its popping Spring here in the mtns. too. The maples are turning red tipped with new growth but winter is never far away until after May15th Thats the late frost date here.
My hens are pouring on the eggs. I have been wondering if I need to start selling them instead of giving them away. I have about 5 dozen a wk to many lately and they sure would help with the feed bill. Or maybe pay a bit on a few new types or colors I would like to add. For those who do sell them , how hard is it to do? Bulbs have popped up everywhere around here. Some are surprises since I planted them about and do not remember doing it
hu.gif
Its been a hard winter with sickness but now things seem to be doing better. I can barely wait to get into gardenning again and then canning for next yr. Yumm it is soooo much better when its home pressure canned .or frozen st. from the garden.
Has anyone here ever planted sugar beets(mangels) for their hens to eat in winter?? I just ordered some seed for spring planting and fall winter feeding. If I had the energy I would plant some perennial Alfalfa too. I am about 70 so the garden tractor is off limits right now.
hit.gif
I so wish I were stronger the desire never leaves to do things I should not try anymore. Sigh!! I could hire it done but I need to watch my pennys too. Hope everyone is enjoying this misty Spring weather.
The best way to sell eggs is to sell to a few people you already know. It makes it more manageable

I'm so excited! my mom and I just split an order on some chicks this week from Valley Hatchery, (She got Light Brahmas, I got Salmon Favs.) and I am chomping at the bit to find out when they will ship! Plus, it's been so nice that I've been able to start the chicken tractor I've had in mind for a while! :}3
you'll enjoy your favs! the roos are sooo dumb and friendly. I'm guessing you only ordered pullets though, they're very easy to sex a few days after hatch.

Egg selling is weird. Some people have trouble giving eggs away, and others can get $4/doz and sell everything they have! We're kinda in the middle. We sell at $3/doz and can sell everything we have! Both of us take eggs to work. We have some customers that won't eat store eggs anymore, since they've tasted real free-range eggs.

We eat our chickens eggs, I won't ever eat store bought eggs again! Actually "one" of the biggest factors that helped me decide to get my own chickens was visiting an "egg farm" it's pitiful!! They only treat them hens as good as the law requires them to. It's not right! I know, me not buying eggs isn't going to hurt them but, I am not eating their eggs!

good morning all,
hu.gif
hit.gif

I posted an ad on my local craiglist. I had five or six people come by and buy some eggs, two of them stuck around and buy every egg I can spare. I have been selling my eggs to those two large familes for over a year now. At first, I was worried about the Craigslist killer coming to buy eggs from me but I don't think he/she eats healthy, cause I haven't seen em - lol. Worked good for me, so you got some options now - let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom