North Carolina

So I went out to feed this morning and everyone was fine, nothi,g out the ordinary,then I left for work a few hours later and when I walked out the door I heard chirp, chirp, chirp coming from my coop. I thought odd I don't have s,y chicks out here, they are all inside the house in the brooder...???
So I ran over to the coop and found this...

One cute little fuzz ball!
Her mama is a green egg laying EE. Her dad a splash blue laced red wyandotte!

Here is mama

Here is dad

I'm praying I have a little pullet! I'm ex tied to see how she turns out and what color egg she will lay.... I'm thinking olive...

Hi Buckbeak,

There is apossibility that I may be selling a few partridge rock and australorp girls who are laying (about 9 months old) but I'm not sure yet. There is a poultry show in Winston on the 28th this month, you might be able to get some there. I'm planning on going so it would be nice to meet you if you go as well
smile.png
I just started with chickens this year and got mine from Meyer hatchery. I had a great experience with them, but now that I know a little more about it, I would like to get some from more local breeders... which is why I'm bugging all these people on here!
tongue.png
What traits are you looking for in your hens?

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm interested in hens that are calm and would be a good pet for my kids (ages 6 and 7), but also great egg layers. My kiddos are so excited about the hens. I really want them to be involved in caring for the flock, so good natured birds would be great. I've had Buff orps before and they were so sweet and gentle and loved interacting with people. I would love to go to the poultry show.

I sent you a PM. Thanks, again!

So I went out to feed this morning and everyone was fine, nothi,g out the ordinary,then I left for work a few hours later and when I walked out the door I heard chirp, chirp, chirp coming from my coop. I thought odd I don't have s,y chicks out here, they are all inside the house in the brooder...???

Here is mama

Here is dad

I'm praying I have a little pullet! I'm ex tied to see how she turns out and what color egg she will lay.... I'm thinking olive...
Good thing you found the little one!!! what beautiful parents!!!

Happy Whinnys-Day!!! The flock and the horses are loving this weather... so am I :celebrate Thought I would see if anyone is going to the 11 April Show in Greensboro....
I'm planning to go to that and to the Winston Salem show 28 March. Matt (I think) said the Winston show is bigger with more sellers. We'll have to meet up!

Here is mama

Here is dad

So cute! Just out of curiosity, could you graft the chicks from your brooder to mama hen and let her raise them? Would there be any reason to not do that?

Here is mama

Here is dad

So cute! Just out of curiosity, could you graft the chicks from your brooder to mama hen and let her raise them? Would there be any reason to not do that?

Oh sorry I should have explained better...
I had bought a bunch of chicks from feed stores and breeders over the last few week's. And I had 1 egg out under two broody hens that were sharing the egg. I really didn't expect it to hatch and when I left for work I heard it chirping, that's when I ran out and found it. So the chick I found today mybhens hatched but it was the only chick. I brought it in the house and put it in the brooder with my other chicks for a couple of reasons.
#1 I did not have a floor nesting box only raised ones and I didn't want the chick to fall
#2 I have a guard pig in with my chickens to keep the critters out and didn't know what the pig would do to a baby chick while I was at work and could supervise
#3 I have 3 rooster in my coop currently and didn't want them to hurt the chick
#4 I was late for work and didn't have time to set up a temporary pen and move the mama and baby.
* I should have been more prepared I guess but at least I found her and she is safe and warm in the brooder!

Oh sorry I should have explained better...
I had bought a bunch of chicks from feed stores and breeders over the last few week's. And I had 1 egg out under two broody hens that were sharing the egg. I really didn't expect it to hatch and when I left for work I heard it chirping, that's when I ran out and found it. So the chick I found today mybhens hatched but it was the only chick. I brought it in the house and put it in the brooder with my other chicks for a couple of reasons.
#1 I did not have a floor nesting box only raised ones and I didn't want the chick to fall
#2 I have a guard pig in with my chickens to keep the critters out and didn't know what the pig would do to a baby chick while I was at work and could supervise
#3 I have 3 rooster in my coop currently and didn't want them to hurt the chick
#4 I was late for work and didn't have time to set up a temporary pen and move the mama and baby.
* I should have been more prepared I guess but at least I found her and she is safe and warm in the brooder!
I can imagine what the pig would have done with it. my roosters hate baby chicks

Back
Top Bottom