North Carolina

Seagrove here
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif

I work in Seagrove! *waves*

We got our brooder built. THis is 32 sq ft and will house 15 4 week olds until they are ready for the henhouse in another 4 weeks or so...

I designed this to work with a stock piece of plywood and stock length dimensioned lumber. We

built the walls on hinges so the whole thing would fold up and out of the way against the wall until we need it again. The cutout in the middle of the long wall is for for access. There is a drop-in panel that fits there and completes the wall. Here with my lovely brooder-model.
smile.png

The chicks went in last night and they are having fun playing leapfrog and enjoying their bountiful new space.

Last edited:
Ok so... I have a question, I ordered 5 chicks last spring and one was supposed to be a Frizzled cochin. But she turned out a smooth freather cochin. But if I am correct about this some frizzle chicks can turn out smooth feather but carry the frizzle gene. So my question is, if I have my smooth frizzle cochin in with my smooth serama roo, is there a possibility I can get a frizzle serama/cochin?

Ok so... I have a question, I ordered 5 chicks last spring and one was supposed to be a Frizzled cochin. But she turned out a smooth freather cochin. But if I am correct about this some frizzle chicks can turn out smooth feather but carry the frizzle gene. So my question is, if I have my smooth frizzle cochin in with my smooth serama roo, is there a possibility I can get a frizzle serama/cochin?

Not exactly sure how the frizzled gene works but if it's a recessive gene that neither parent showed then both parents would have to carry the recessive gene and pass it to the baby for the baby to be frizzled.

Chickens that have 2 copies of the frizzle gene have very brittle, fragile feathers and sometimes other health issues. To avoid this, most breeders and hatcheries won't breed two frizzles together. They will pair a frizzle feathered chicken with a smooth feathered one. This results in about 50% frizzled chicks. The smooth feathered ones that hatch don't carry the frizzle gene at all.

Ok so my dmooth frather cochin that hatched as a frizzle and smooth breededing, does not carry the frizzle gene. Ok understand that now.
My next question is in the serama breed I was told they fo not breed true and can therefore produce a rainbow of chick colors and also font breed true in size either, that 2 clas C parents can producers possibly micro chick. And was also told that they font breed true to feather type either. That 2 smooth parents could throw a Frizzled chick.
So back to my cochin with serama roo,could they Have a small possibility to throw a frizzle chick?

Back
Top Bottom