North Carolina

Onslow County

From Charlotte, living in Jacksonville, NC. We are not far from Camp Lejeune and very close to New River Air Station.

Good morning folks and welcome to the new members
frow.gif

All winter long those crazy hens hold back on putting out those eggs
and once spring gets here they start laying like crazy only to stop
again because they want to 'sit' those eggs and be broody. It's like
being on a roller coaster. I hope we don't get 'too' many broodies this
year. I like having a few but only a few.
D.gif

hope everyone has a good day
pop.gif

Good morning folks and welcome to the new members
frow.gif

All winter long those crazy hens hold back on putting out those eggs
and once spring gets here they start laying like crazy only to stop
again because they want to 'sit' those eggs and be broody. It's like
being on a roller coaster. I hope we don't get 'too' many broodies this
year. I like having a few but only a few.
D.gif

hope everyone has a good day
pop.gif
Yep! so far I have had 4 out of 13 hens. My problem was no fertile eggs of the varieties that I want. No rooster here this yr. I ordered eggs but they started to develope and died. Bad eggs, shipped eggs. I have been talking to another BYC'r about chicks and hope I have some soon. Also the guarantine in Mo. messed me up for chicks or eggs from there this yr. from my friend. I wonder if they will lift the quarantine in the late fall or early winter this coming yr. Wonder if she has her flock npip'd if they would let her ship. Humm I have to check on that. H5N1 is no joke.

Hi all!

I am moving back to NC from WA and looking for a house near Sanford and I really want to get chickens again. I had them in Spring Lake before I moved and I miss having them.

My question is what are the laws or rules in Lee County for having chickens and also I probably want to get Pygmy goats down the road as well.

Thank you :)

Hi all!

I am moving back to NC from WA and looking for a house near Sanford and I really want to get chickens again. I had them in Spring Lake before I moved and I miss having them.

My question is what are the laws or rules in Lee County for having chickens and also I probably want to get Pygmy goats down the road as well.

Thank you
smile.png

Most of it will depend on an HOA, make sure where you buy you don't have one.
Also if you're renting not buying it has to go through your rental company.
The people I know in Sanford have chickens and goats as do their neighbors.

Hello everyone! My dad has just informed me he rescued a rooster - but can't keep it due to chicken laws where he lives. Any ideas on what breed this guy is? That's a Minorca behind him and a Light Brahma front left.

**Edited to add: We plan on keeping him at least until our new chicks (due to arrive May 11th from McMurray Hatchery) mature. After that.... who knows.

Last edited:
so turns out one of the babies from my easter guys has a cross beak. makes me confused because i was told breeding brother to sister wouldnt effect anything till further generations....OH WELL guess i cant sell these eggs.....but if anyone wants this chick you can have him if you would offer him a good home :)

so turns out one of the babies from my easter guys has a cross beak. makes me confused because i was told breeding brother to sister wouldnt effect anything till further generations....OH WELL guess i cant sell these eggs.....but if anyone wants this chick you can have him if you would offer him a good home :)
cross beak can occur from incubation temp changes or not having the right humidity. How bad is the cross beak? if it's bad you may have to cull before it starves. I've bred brother and sister before without any defects, most of the time they are not full siblings. a flock consists of 1 rooster and many hens. the chances that these two came from the same hen is not very high.

So, I don't actually own any chickens yet. Nor do I see it happening in the very near future. But, I like to research and be fully versed before any significant undertaking. BYC has turned out to be MORE than I had ever thought existed about chickens! Just wanted to stop by and say hello before I end up lurking for too long and look like an even bigger weirdo
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom