North Carolina

Hello Everyone,

I live in North Carolina, Wake County. I have been able to find a few local farms that sell chicks however I am looking to get 1 silkie. I have not been able to find any silkie chicks. I am almost finished building my coop and have a horse trough made to be a brooder. Does anyone know of anything? I found places online but they want you to buy 10+ and unfortunately I am only looking to get 3 hens although my coop can fit 5-6. I live on a half acre, backyard is fenced in, and have been researching how to care for chickens for months. Now that we are home owners I can finally have a small flock.
and I forgot
welcome-byc.gif

Ok, so I am spending my time stalking coop/tractor builders on craigslist. I have narrowed it down to 2 but the tractors are soooo different, I see advantages/disadvantages to both. Prices are very close to the same. So here I come with photo's to get your expert opinions.
bow.gif
The first one has a fully enclosed coop, but I am not so crazy about the materials used to build. here is that photo, except I would get it unpainted.

This next one seems to be better constructed but the coop part is only enclosed on 3 sides. better ventilation in summer but I worry about the winters.

Both have a 4x8 footprint. top one has 2 nest boxes bottom one has 4. first guy says his will house 15, I only plan on 8, I like that the second guy gives the sq ft per chicken rule but states that he feels that is not enough and suggests 8 large hens. Thanks in advance for the help. Just want to get the best I can afford for the girls I plan to have
yippiechickie.gif
taking into consideration chicken math, I figure this will be the starter setup, and I will have a fixed coop in about a year and will rotate out the hens to forage in the tractor.

Last edited:
I dont know how far away you are from Cabarrus county but I have a friend Brent who still may have some silkie chicks left.

Ok, so I am spending my time stalking coop/tractor builders on craigslist. I have narrowed it down to 2 but the tractors are soooo different, I see advantages/disadvantages to both. Prices are very close to the same. So here I come with photo's to get your expert opinions.
bow.gif
The first one has a fully enclosed coop, but I am not so crazy about the materials used to build. here is that photo, except I would get it unpainted.

This next one seems to be better constructed but the coop part is only enclosed on 3 sides. better ventilation in summer but I worry about the winters.

Both have a 4x8 footprint. top one has 2 nest boxes bottom one has 4. first guy says his will house 15, I only plan on 8, I like that the second guy gives the sq ft per chicken rule but states that he feels that is not enough and suggests 8 large hens. Thanks in advance for the help. Just want to get the best I can afford for the girls I plan to have
yippiechickie.gif
taking into consideration chicken math, I figure this will be the starter setup, and I will have a fixed coop in about a year and will rotate out the hens to forage in the tractor.

Unless they are allowed out daily, I would not put eight large hens in an 8 x 4 footprint. Despite all the "square foot" rules, I'd consider that cramped. I'd also not get the one that doesn't have an enclosed area. Storms blow in all the time. Unless....is the coop part at one end of the long roof? If so, having the length of the roof may serve to protect the open side. Perhaps the builder of the second one could make an alteration and enclose the coop part? Also, I can't tell from the pics if they have a wire floor. We've had so many foxes dig under that I'd want at least a 2 x 4 wire floor on it for my own paranoia. If you are in town it's probably not a consideration for you, though. If the first one is inferior materials/construction, then I'd pass and see about the second one. More pictures?

Back
Top Bottom