North Carolina

That is a wyandotte cockerel. Wyandottes have rose combs and yellow legs/ feet bottoms. Orpingtons have single combs and pink legs/ feet bottoms. Some poorly bred wyandottes may have single combs, but as a breed the wyandottes should have a rose comb. I have never seen a poorly bred orpington with any other comb than a single.

I have a question: This isn't my bird, a friend of mine posted these pics of her 4 month old chicken on facebook and asked if it was a hen or rooster. Like 30 people said hen, I am the only one who thinks this is a rooster. I know I'm far from an expert, but I'm curious for those I know chickens, do you really think it's a hen? The neck feathers, while I can't see them in person, look like pointy hackle feathers, no? And the top of the tail is looking like it's starting to sickle? And I think I see some saddle feathers startng. Or am I totally off base??? Some of the people were really ripping into me for even suggesting rooster, but I just don't see a hen at 4 months. (By the way that lavender olive egger I posted awhile back I thought was looking like a rooster, was. He was good though!)
Congratulations, that's a BOY. Boy, boy, BOY. Cockerel. BOY.
1f601.png
If you have a photo editing program, circle those saddle feathers.

My friends dog got out and killed all but 4 of their chickens. She separated mama dog from the pups and she went on a killing spree. :( killed my duck I had over there too. :( now I got this possum problem....this little turd keeps coming around the coop at night I try to run him off and he just won't go away. I hate to fire off the gun at 3 am but I just don't know what else to do. He's not afraid of me at all. He likes to snoop around my black Roos little area. There's no way he can get in as it has a tray in the bottom and has lots of bars under there. I'm so aggravated with him. I got DH to go out with the ax the other night and the little sh*t ran under the gap of our porch and wouldn't come out. Mind you...at 3 am DH isn't too concerned about ripping back the portion of the porch to get to him. What can I do? Oh I also feel the need to bathe my "new" chickens. We've had them all separated for almost 2 weeks now and I just want to give them a bath before introducing them to the other chickens. Of course just one rooster will be with the girls. But they are so filthy. Mud and poop and I don't want them "carrying" any old poop to their new home. lol I have only given 2 chickens a bath in my life and both of those were when they were sick and wounded. What do I wash them with? What time of day is best? Are there any special precautions to use? What temp water? I need help. Lol.

Last edited:
My friends dog got out and killed all but 4 of their chickens. She separated mama dog from the pups and she went on a killing spree.
sad.png
killed my duck I had over there too.
sad.png
now I got this possum problem....this little turd keeps coming around the coop at night I try to run him off and he just won't go away. I hate to fire off the gun at 3 am but I just don't know what else to do. He's not afraid of me at all. He likes to snoop around my black Roos little area. There's no way he can get in as it has a tray in the bottom and has lots of bars under there. I'm so aggravated with him. I got DH to go out with the ax the other night and the little sh*t ran under the gap of our porch and wouldn't come out. Mind you...at 3 am DH isn't too concerned about ripping back the portion of the porch to get to him. What can I do? Oh I also feel the need to bathe my "new" chickens. We've had them all separated for almost 2 weeks now and I just want to give them a bath before introducing them to the other chickens. Of course just one rooster will be with the girls. But they are so filthy. Mud and poop and I don't want them "carrying" any old poop to their new home. lol I have only given 2 chickens a bath in my life and both of those were when they were sick and wounded. What do I wash them with? What time of day is best? Are there any special precautions to use? What temp water? I need help. Lol.
Warm water and a little tide laundry soap, during the day when they can dry good before nightfall and I'd suggest you wait a little longer before putting them in with your old birds. Sorry about the dogs and opossum problem. I find a live trap with a little cat food works great for catching opossums, and makes it easy to transport them well down the road. (they do eat a lot of ticks)

Back
Top Bottom