North Carolina

My first large fowl Cochins! I did not know they were so big! The roo is about 15 pounds.

Hello fellow nc friends, gosh its probably been a year and half since i was on last. Hope you all are doing okay. Have connected with some of you on facebook but others i have missed :) you guys always helped me so much. Love y'all.

These are almost 2 months old, but here are my GLWs, I have a total of 4 and I hope to add to that number when my 3 hens start laying. Below is a picture of the coop I built. I did not have a set of plans just a foggy idea of what I thought I wanted :)

I'm just checking in quick!

Welcome to all the NEW NC flockers!!!

Well, I've been quite happy with the acquaintances I've made and the chickens I've gotten from various NC Flockers. Thank you all for sharing birds you've wanted to sell or rehome. I was quite surprised recently to realize I went from just a handful of mature feed store/hatchery hens to 49 chickens.

The latest - chicks that I purchased from Fayetteville Poultry in October are growing nicely and looking great. I believe the Ameraucanas are going to be 3 roos and just 2 hens (cockerels/pullets). Not sure yet on the two lite Brahmas and the one GLW is a pullet.

The two BA that I purchased from Naliez in Fayetteville - 1 is laying, but not yet consistently, the other is not. The cold weather seems to affect them both. I'm pretty sure I will have an egg each day starting today thru Sunday (WARM)... They are both talkative and pretty girls and I'm thankful they came home to us.

The Brahma Xs that I got thru another NC Flocker are now free ranging in our pastures with the ponies! They are doing great - and they know when/how to hide from the hawks that are still patrolling daily. I haven't lost a bird. They do seem to be a bit confused though. I consistently have to move a couple of pullets and cockerels around - they end up in the wrong coop for the night! None of the pullets are laying yet, I'm looking forward to the day they start. This past week - we've had no eggs (w/ 49 chickens - that's a bit rough to deal w/ BUT I still had 2 dz eggs from previous week left for us)...

I am sooooo glad that I found out about DLM from the forums. I am loving it - great way to "get rid of" OR should I say "utilize" ALL THESE LEAVES and the pine straw here. I REALLY wish I'd known about or even thought about it at our previous property - had enough leaves there to do it too and would have made coops/pens so much more pleasant.

And last but far from least since I have sooo many ponies we've bred and raised - yesterday finally saw the completion of the 60' round pen (normally would/should have been completed in a single weekend, but) so I can start working with the young ponies. YAYAYYYYYY! I will have a two week break over Christmas, and I really hope to get several more ponies started in ground driving and maybe hitch the young pair that was ground driving/logging in summer 2014. Yesterday was the 1st hitch and drive since we moved into this property (1 year ago on the 20th of December).

Here is the pic of the girls pulling my wagon w/ 3 adults and 2 granddaughters. They are out of shape - haven't been harnessed/hitched in 14 months - so they didn't go far or very long (and we had to work to get those long winter coats dry from the sweat) but they did great and they both seemed to enjoy getting out and going down the road for the first time in "forever".

and the video

1st drive from new property

All the trees in the 2 pics below are on our property... I am loving this place - even w/ all the work assoicated with it. Just wish we'd found it 15 years ago but... better late than never. LOVE the two pics below.

Last edited:
I'm just checking in quick! Welcome to all the NEW NC flockers!!! Well, I've been quite happy with the acquaintances I've made and the chickens I've gotten from various NC Flockers. Thank you all for sharing birds you've wanted to sell or rehome. I was quite surprised recently to realize I went from just a handful of mature feed store/hatchery hens to 49 chickens. The latest - chicks that I purchased from Fayetteville Poultry in October are growing nicely and looking great. I believe the Ameraucanas are going to be 3 roos and just 2 hens (cockerels/pullets). Not sure yet on the two lite Brahmas and the one GLW is a pullet. The two BA that I purchased from Naliez in Fayetteville - 1 is laying, but not yet consistently, the other is not. The cold weather seems to affect them both. I'm pretty sure I will have an egg each day starting today thru Sunday (WARM)... They are both talkative and pretty girls and I'm thankful they came home to us. The Brahma Xs that I got thru another NC Flocker are now free ranging in our pastures with the ponies! They are doing great - and they know when/how to hide from the hawks that are still patrolling daily. I haven't lost a bird. They do seem to be a bit confused though. I consistently have to move a couple of pullets and cockerels around - they end up in the wrong coop for the night! None of the pullets are laying yet, I'm looking forward to the day they start. This past week - we've had no eggs (w/ 49 chickens - that's a bit rough to deal w/ BUT I still had 2 dz eggs from previous week left for us)... I am sooooo glad that I found out about DLM from the forums. I am loving it - great way to "get rid of" OR should I say "utilize" ALL THESE LEAVES and the pine straw here. I REALLY wish I'd known about or even thought about it at our previous property - had enough leaves there to do it too and would have made coops/pens so much more pleasant. And last but far from least since I have sooo many ponies we've bred and raised - yesterday finally saw the completion of the 60' round pen (normally would/should have been completed in a single weekend, but) so I can start working with the young ponies. YAYAYYYYYY! I will have a two week break over Christmas, and I really hope to get several more ponies started in ground driving and maybe hitch the young pair that was ground driving/logging in summer 2014. Yesterday was the 1st hitch and drive since we moved into this property (1 year ago on the 20th of December). Here is the pic of the girls pulling my wagon w/ 3 adults and 2 granddaughters. They are out of shape - haven't been harnessed/hitched in 14 months - so they didn't go far or very long (and we had to work to get those long winter coats dry from the sweat) but they did great and they both seemed to enjoy getting out and going down the road for the first time in "forever". and the video 1st drive from new property All the trees in the 2 pics below are on our property... I am loving this place - even w/ all the work assoicated with it. Just wish we'd found it 15 years ago but... better late than never. LOVE the two pics below.
Nice pictures! I'm so glad you like the ladies! With the one we kept, I get an egg every other day, but it's already starting to thin out some. I've heard that if they're late to start laying, sometimes they lay longer. Hopefully that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom