North Carolina

It was 13 last night in the mountains where we are. I believe it will drop even lower tonight. I have a completely enclosed coop for my chickens. However, it's not insulated. I am pretty sure they can tolerate even colder temperatures, but I like to make them as comfortable as possible. Last winter I used an electric heater on cold nights. This year I've tried a red heating brooder lamp that I used for my chicks last spring. It does keep the temperature a few degrees warmer than outside. I use a heated base (had to make an investment) for their waterer, which is very convenient, since it only comes on when the surrounding temperature falls below freezing and keeps their water from freezing without heating the water. So, my chickens are very well taken care of, though my rooster still managed to freeze one of his wattles, it's already black. Unfortunately, I don't know how to prevent that, since it happens when they go out in the morning before it warms up. I still have to go out and take care of my turkeys that were not really a planned addition, so they don't have any conveniences aside from a tarp over their heads and a place above ground to perch on, so they are pretty much in the open, and I have to get them warm water in the morning to keep it from freezing before the air warms up. I am not looking forward to it lol.
It sounds like your chickens have it made! :) Mine have protection from the rain and wind, but they just have to deal with cold. They are cold hardy breeds, so they should be fine. It's more the water freezing that I have to deal with - no electricity out there! My roo had one little spot on one of the points on his comb that was looking frost bitten yesterday, but it's already better today. They were out in the tractor yesterday - it got up to 37, but it was very windy! I just kept them in the wrapped run today.

How much does that cost? And do they sell it at tractor supply? Her eye is swollen again tonight but not gunked shut. Giving duramycin again until I can get to the store for more mess.
sad.png
I know TSC has deworming medication. They probably have Tylan too - but I got mine at the Town & Country pet store. Check TSC online, it should list the med and their prices. I typically spend between $15-$20 for a bottle of medication, but then it seems to last forever. You may need to pick up a couple needles and syringes too - while I injected Tylan, a need is helpful to give deworming medication through the skin too

It's supposed to get down to 14 degrees tonight! This is the coldest my chickens have experienced. I have clear plastic all around their pen, and their coop is sheltered on 3 sides, so I think they'll be fine, but I'm not looking forward to trudging out to give them unfrozen water first thing in the morning! I'll have to set up the coffee pot first, for sure. Do you all do anything special to prepare for the freezing winter nights?
I do not do anything special. I have one coop that is more open than that - being protected from the wind is most important! You do want at least one side open to allow for adequate ventilation. Improper ventilation makes things more Wet AND Cold and I think is worse off. On a side note. I have chicks that hatched on New Years outside in a brooder. I was worried the brooder would not stay warm enough with the cold temperatures, but the newborn chicks did fine! It was very reassuring. As for water, I have a few buckets that I bring in the house and fill up and bring out in the morning. They are happy to drink from the buckets. I do not hassle with fixing their "waterers" in the cold, but rather bring out a new source. I often need to leave before sunrise, so I bring out warm water so it doesn't freeze, and it cools down a bit before they wake up.

It was 13 last night in the mountains where we are. I believe it will drop even lower tonight. I have a completely enclosed coop for my chickens. However, it's not insulated. I am pretty sure they can tolerate even colder temperatures, but I like to make them as comfortable as possible. Last winter I used an electric heater on cold nights. This year I've tried a red heating brooder lamp that I used for my chicks last spring. It does keep the temperature a few degrees warmer than outside. I use a heated base (had to make an investment) for their waterer, which is very convenient, since it only comes on when the surrounding temperature falls below freezing and keeps their water from freezing without heating the water. So, my chickens are very well taken care of, though my rooster still managed to freeze one of his wattles, it's already black. Unfortunately, I don't know how to prevent that, since it happens when they go out in the morning before it warms up. I still have to go out and take care of my turkeys that were not really a planned addition, so they don't have any conveniences aside from a tarp over their heads and a place above ground to perch on, so they are pretty much in the open, and I have to get them warm water in the morning to keep it from freezing before the air warms up. I am not looking forward to it lol.
You flock sounds pretty well off! I was just reassured letting my 5wk chicks out on their own without a heat lamp. They are maintaining temps very well! I bet my chickens would love to join your flock!

I do not do anything special. I have one coop that is more open than that - being protected from the wind is most important! You do want at least one side open to allow for adequate ventilation. Improper ventilation makes things more Wet AND Cold and I think is worse off. On a side note. I have chicks that hatched on New Years outside in a brooder. I was worried the brooder would not stay warm enough with the cold temperatures, but the newborn chicks did fine! It was very reassuring. As for water, I have a few buckets that I bring in the house and fill up and bring out in the morning. They are happy to drink from the buckets. I do not hassle with fixing their "waterers" in the cold, but rather bring out a new source. I often need to leave before sunrise, so I bring out warm water so it doesn't freeze, and it cools down a bit before they wake up.
Thanks! I did leave openings around the top of the plastic to vent. It seems quite dry to me! :)

Regarding black roo, Not at present, but I have chicks growing out. Check back with me in the spring. Regarding eggs, yes I do and will also have chicks. I have started hatching a few now and it will pick up in another month.

Last edited:
It's supposed to get down to 14 degrees tonight!  This is the coldest my chickens have experienced.  I have clear plastic all around their pen, and their coop is sheltered on 3 sides, so I think they'll be fine, but I'm not looking forward to trudging out to give them unfrozen water first thing in the morning!  I'll have to set up the coffee pot first, for sure.  Do you all do anything special to prepare for the freezing winter nights?  

I add nore bedding. Lets my littles {like my silkies} hunker down deeper. Make sure you are draft- free and you should be good to go.

Finally, no rain, got my big pen moved to the farm so time to get birds back to normal. Now to get back to the nursery and landscape business. Sold all of my roosters so I have pen space for a few more hens and a couple of pens for???. I think In need to fine a couple of leghorns and a couple more prolific layers to bump up egg production for customers..
Still got that silver spangled hamburg large fowl cockerel if you want. Hows it going on the turkey pen?

Cold. Ugh.

We make sure to tarp all the "just wire" sections of the chicken houses before the first freeze, and cover the doors with clear plastic. The eaves only have bird netting, so provide ventilation without catching a breeze. I shut down the automatic waterers and replace with bowls. Usually. I haven't done that this season, and I probably broke a waterer or two last night. Since the chicken houses stay a bit warmer with body heat, it usually has to get down to mid-to-low-twenties to freeze them. Once the bowls are in, I fill them afternoons when I get home, and the sun has thawed everything out. I break ice in the mornings. If we get such cold that it doesn't thaw during the day, I haul water. I have a supply of saved milk jugs just for the purpose. Load up the muck tub cart and deliver water. A few hundred chickens can drink a lot. Worse when I have to haul milk jugs of water for the calves, too; they drink a lot and often need more than one trip in a day. However, the rains have left me with a "pond" that the calves prefer, so that's alright by me!

Started saving eggs for the first hatch of the year. They'll go in the incubator on Sunday. Should have four or five dozen to hatch by then. My main layer pen has six Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Ameraucana cockerels in control, so all eggs from there will be either purebred W/BW or EEs. I'm not collecting blues right now, though. I'm mostly going for green eggs this time, so second generation EEs. Some of the EEs will be out of dark egg layers, so will technically be OEs. I'm probably getting a few Wellie eggs in the mix, too, as I'm collecting in one bag and then sorting in the house. Chick time will be so much fun!

Second hatch will hopefully be purebred Ams, Wellies and Cream Legbars. The Am and Legbar pullets are laying age, but this will be their first season. I'm "supposed" to choose one blue egg layer breed by the end of summer...and stick to it. Is that really possible?

Hubby is healing well from the knee surgery he had on the 16th. He's back at work this week, as am I. Classes start Monday. I need more break first, but I suppose that's not going to happen.....

Stay safe in the cold, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom