North Carolina

Hey guys. I have an NC specific question...
My chicks are 3 weeks old, brooder has been on back porch but getting so hot! The babies are mostly feathered and only using lamp at night. It seems too hot to put them outside. The coop/pen they are going to has some shade from a tarp, but the big hens are miserable too. They have been spending some time in the dog pen out there to see he big girls. When should they make the “real” move?

I need the brooder for next hatch in about a week.
Id put them out now and just keep plenty of cool water available and watch for signs of heat distress. I’d also keep them away from the adults as the inevitable jousting for pecking order activity would only
add to the heat stress for all.
JMHO :frow

Id put them out now and just keep plenty of cool water available and watch for signs of heat distress. I’d also keep them away from the adults as the inevitable jousting for pecking order activity would only
add to the heat stress for all.
JMHO :frow

One of the days, they were laying down all stretched out. Is that heat stress? Or just normal chick behavior in the heat? They hopped right up to evade being touched by me or the big girls.

One of the days, they were laying down all stretched out. Is that heat stress? Or just normal chick behavior in the heat? They hopped right up to evade being touched by me or the big girls.
it could be the heat just keep a lot of water ready for them mine are going though 2 1/2 gal. a day
p.s.
don't forget to have good open shade with a good air flow

Hey guys. I have an NC specific question...
My chicks are 3 weeks old, brooder has been on back porch but getting so hot! The babies are mostly feathered and only using lamp at night. It seems too hot to put them outside. The coop/pen they are going to has some shade from a tarp, but the big hens are miserable too. They have been spending some time in the dog pen out there to see he big girls. When should they make the “real” move?

I need the brooder for next hatch in about a week.
Yea its definitely okay for them to be outside. You need to worry about your whole flock getting too hot tho. For the babies you just need to put them in a smaller wire cage inside of the big girl pen to get them used to each other. For the bigger pen, think about moving it to under a tree or a spot that only gets morning sun. Put in some dust bathing spots or quartz to help them cool off. make more shelters. make frozen treats for them. RUn a fan. There are plenty to do for them besides let them be.

There is shade out there, we have huge trees all around their pen. And a tarp over half of it as well. I think it is just plain hot and humid. The big girls have plenty of space for normal dust bathing.

Back
Top Bottom