North Carolina

Sorry to hear that allabout
hugs.gif
maybe too many people are messing with them ??? Are they going to replace them ??

NH great book is Storeys guide on raising chickens. I am not sure if that is the exact title but has too much info. And believe it or not in the chicldrens sections of the library there are books about chickens. I got them for my kids and both my mother & I read them, lots of info in child friendly text.

Love the pics G&A Sorry for your loss also
hugs.gif

OLF looking forward to chick pics, since I'm over a week off from lockdown and good luck
fl.gif

Vfem
jumpy.gif
yeah for broodies
D.gif

Welcome hoopie
smile.png

We like in Hoke County. I've heard the local 4-H is amazing with it's help...anyone know if that is true?

Allabout - so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
I hope TSC can get things figured out and at least come to some understanding as why so many are passing.
hugs.gif
I'd offer you chicks...but I don't have any (YET).

Thank you for the book suggestions everyone. I have the Raising Chickens for Dummies and I just ordered the Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens as well as the Chicken Health Handbook - it was written by the same gal who wrote Storeys (or whatever it's called...lol) Thanks again!!

Vfem -
celebrate.gif
for broodies & Japanese bantam eggs for snacks today? I will be making some cauliflower baby food if you want any
lau.gif

a special
frow.gif
from Johnston County and
welcome-byc.gif
to Veleda!! I hope you enjoy your "time" here at BYC...soon you will be addicted and then there is no turning back! There's a great group of helpful people on here and they are always more than willing to lend a helping "hand" and offer suggestions/advice. (This coming from someone who is still in the process of building the coop and hasn't even made it to acquiring chickens yet...they've been a priceless asset!!)

I hope everyone has a great day today...
somad.gif
Everything was frosted over this morning...I'm SO ready for spring and dare I say it? SUMMER!! - or at least weather where I am not always so cold. I need a good lap chicken to keep me warm as my cat refuses to put his big fat warm bum on me to warm me up.
gig.gif
I'm off for another full day of cooking baby food and sewing...hoping it warms up enough and our company comes over early enough that I will have someone to watch the little one so I can get some yard work done in preparation of our coop being built. Hubby messaged me from Cali and promised
fl.gif
to have it 90% done by NEXT weekend!!
celebrate.gif
I will keep you all posted with pictures and updates!! Hmm...I know many suggest vinyl flooring, but what do you put atop of it? Sand? Dirt? Hay? Straw? Does it matter?
hugs.gif
Thanks again everyone you're the best!!

Thanks for the welcome! I felt prepared to get our first batch...even prepared to lose one or two. But, they are all healthy and happy at the one week point! Of course, at the rate my son drops his lizard's meal worms in the cage to watch them run, I think I will need to raise them too!

Vinyl flooring? Really? I have a bunch of those sticky tiles of flooring left over from redoing the bathroom...

Quote:
How cute!! I hope my daughter is that excited when she's a bit older.
As for the flooring - I've been stalking the coop maintenance & design page and that seems to be what a lot of people are recommending. It's suppose to make clean up easier and what not, but I'm still a bit confused!! (you'll soon learn that, that is NOTHING new with me). I'm hoping one of the seasoned BYC'ers will point me in the right direction!! Or at least tell me what they use. I have to have my "supply" list up and ready for when my hubby says (albeit with a sigh), "Let's go shopping for the materials." I don't want to miss that window of opportunity!!
gig.gif

Quote:
I forgot to say "HI NEIGHBOR!" We're on the Harnett County side of Fuquay... so not too far from Johnston Co at all. We're at that weird tri-county line area. Where we live could have been 3 different towns! HAHAHA

Hooray for all the chicken lovers in this state!!!
big_smile.png

we put vinyl down on the floor in the chicken and duck houses then I put down pine shavings, I buy the shaving at Tractor supply, make sure its not cedar. it is very easy to clean and protects the wood floor.. I just bought my vinyl at Roses, but you might be able to find it at other places too cheaper..
welcome-byc.gif
Veleda!! don't forget to tell us all about your new chicks and pics please..

sorry about your little chicks allabout.. and wish you could get the little hen from animal shelter.. looks like I will be adopting 3 Brahma hens from a friend she wants to get down to only bantams, so I will take the big girls since I already have 3 anyway.. that will give me more large eggs.
big_smile.png

well ya'll have a great day and enjoy the sunshine it's suppose to rain for 2 days starting tomorrow.. so looking forward to spring....
wee.gif

well ya'll have a great day and enjoy the sunshine it's suppose to rain for 2 days starting tomorrow.. so looking forward to spring....

I truly hope that is only in the western part of the state. If my husband can't work because of the rain at the end of the week he has to work on Saturday! I already have to work on Saturday and we have no baby sitter! ARGH!

sad.png

This saturday is also his bee hive day. He's supposed to be completing the last phase of his first hive because we get our bees on April 1st. How very exciting! Bees & Chickens... its going to be a very productive place we live in.
big_smile.png

~I used vinyl in all mine! It does in fact make cleaning easier! But I also deep litter on it! After raking out I can really hose it out! Keeps my floor from rotting. My floor is also raised with a trap door under my nest boxes, so I just rake it to that hole dropping it in my wheel barrow. My theory in my coop was work smarter not harder. So I specifficly made the coop based on ease of maintenance. Just so happens it's really really nice for my birds too! Lol!

Hope everyone has a great day! My lil boys, Brunswick and Ray are out in the side box today! Gonna give them a full run tomorrow! Today they are loving the outside atleast! Ray is becoming quite the hugger, he loves his daddy! Getting Four eggs day from my BCM's!

woot.gif
Free vinyl !!!! just go ask for a remnant peice from a job at a flooring store! Might cost a buck, but with a twinkle and a smile it's free!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,
Tractor Supply will not refund me my money for the chicks. They say that once they leave the store that's it. I love the brahma's
droolin.gif
I am having the worst time trying to introduce the 2 new hen to the rest of my flock, It is driving me crazy
he.gif

Vinyl and pine shavings work great!

Back
Top Bottom