North Carolina

I got a 2 yr old silkie cochin cross roo for sale if interested let me know, I'd hate for him to end up in the pot.
side view
chickenfeb11004.jpg

front view
chickenfeb11005.jpg

Quote:
HT.... are the French Marans preferable over the smooth legs??? I just got some Marans chicks, some have feathered legs some don't.

From everything that I have heard and read, yes French is preferred or should I say more sought after over English. My hatch was cuckoo with the possibility of golds and both French and English. I have narrow my remaining cuckoo's down to three, got lucky enough to get a gold cockerel who is French and both of my pullets are French. If I cross my fingers real tight what I am seeing on my one of the pullets will continue to express gold and yes be a gold cuckoo.
fl.gif

Congrats Jan 336, hope you'll share some pictures some of us have never seen Dorking before.. and wish I had room but 2's all I can have here.. hope you can find him a home he's very handsome.. ramirezframing.

Quote:
HT.... are the French Marans preferable over the smooth legs??? I just got some Marans chicks, some have feathered legs some don't.

From everything that I have heard and read, yes French is preferred or should I say more sought after over English. My hatch was cuckoo with the possibility of golds and both French and English. I have narrow my remaining cuckoo's down to three, got lucky enough to get a gold cockerel who is French and both of my pullets are French. If I cross my fingers real tight what I am seeing on my one of the pullets will continue to express gold and yes be a gold cuckoo.
fl.gif

Ok that is good information.... If I would have had that info before hand I would have made sure I got the ones with feathered legs. Alsway learning.
smile.png

But the good news is.... I have eggs going into lockdown tonight, some are Cucko Marans. The seller said they are both gold and Silver (?) French & American, so I will know what to keep and what to sell. I have 11 going to lockdown
fl.gif
Plus some Black JG & BLRW. 25 total.... ooOO and 3 Serama & 1 barnyard bantam mix. So 29 to lockdown tonight.
big_smile.png

I caught Old Droopy laying today. Click the image to see the Large detailed picture.

I love her Jumbo+ eggs. This is why I have been watching her today. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=465185

Matt

Edited to add: Droopy is a Buff Orp we rescued a few years ago from a place she was being starved to death. When I got the 8 month old pullet and her sisters, they looked like 3 month olds. Droopy is the hen in this pic of dad and Barbara. She ended up deformed from the neglect and malnutrition. She has a large drooping abdomen, but it is not swollen.

Last edited:
Glad to hear that wasn't blood specks, so you still don't know what happened? and Daddy's it's looking great!! by the way haven't seen any pics of your brood lately.

Matt - I do hope your Droopy is doing ok. Is it possible that it was an egg that was opened (not sure WHAT I am talking about, but have read on the emergency forum about bloody messes inside of eggs)?? Spontaneous mouse explosion?? Sorry, I am of no use here. I do hope she is okay though.
fl.gif

Daddy - WoW!! It looks like you will be done in NO time flat!! So...once you're done, you want to come over and help us put ours up?? Haha.

Coop Update: Well...our building is on hold for a little bit. We need to get a permit and in order to get a permit, you must have detailed blueprints (2 copies plus a copy on an 8 1/2 x 11) and a mess of other things. We have a call into the electric company to find out where they buried the electrical lines because they have to be mapped on our drawings as well. Can you believe that we also have to measure the distance this coop is going to be from our well/septic tank/lines. Seriously?? Sometimes I think that gov't wants you to jump through so many loops that you give up and don't do it. <sigh> I did manage to get 1/2 of the interior room we were remodeling painted. I ran out of paint (reusing old paint from other rooms...don't know where the DH put the other cans), which I guess is good because the DD decided today would be a good day to see how mommy handles projectile vomit!! Yay!!
sickbyc.gif
Well...I'm glad it's a nice day to curl up on the porch and read a book...about...chickens!!
big_smile.png
Have a great day everyone!!

Back
Top Bottom