North Carolina

Quote: UH OH!!! if you need help you know I'm right now the street!
I played hooky and left work half day, came home, got the grow out pen finally useable.
Silkie babies outside in their own pen and only 6 barred/brahma mixes left inside! YAY ME!!!
wee.gif

In other news it's the second day in a row I've woken up to 3 eggs out of 5 chickens!
celebrate.gif

The 2 new BO's haven't laid yet but I think I'm gonna be mean tonight and lock everyone in!
duc.gif
Just so they're not sleeping on the day-time roost anymore.
I just thought of this, if those two new girls were with a Roo before they were sold their eggs might be fertile if they start laying again soon. If you wanna hang on to them you know your buddy Colie would gladly incubate them for ya :D

I wish I knew of a local mill period! All the feed I'm seeing sucks compared to the price and quality I'm use to. I'm not sure about where you're at but you haven't by chance heard if anything out my way near Fayetteville?

No, sorry. I've posted on Craigslist and here looking, and the only thing I've gotten have been replies like yours, from other people looking for the same thing. If I hear anything, I'll let you know! Closest I've found for cheaper feed is Claremont, at Shook Poultry but that's 3 hours from you....

I was just informed today that it is NC LAW... you can not free range your chickens without appropriate fencing on your property! If you are found to be free ranging without you can be fined or have your birds removed!!!!????

WHAT THE HECK!?
somad.gif

...and there are no leash laws where I live. So who does the state think it is?!
smack.gif

Yikes! I wonder how much this is enforced in my area. So much for any arguments I might have against my neighbor for letting his dog constantly off leash and attacking my chickens when not watched...grr....

The NC Law for livestock containment has been a law for over 100 years. It was last updated/amended in 1994. This law is normally enforced for animals that are a hazzard to public safety or doing damage. Basically when someone files a complaint about your birds on their property there is a law for the cops or whoever to fall back on. The animal owner will be held responsible for any damages and may have to pay a fine. As long as you can contain your birds in a lot or yard they will not take your birds. If not then animal control can take them "for their own safety".

Matt

Yikes! I wonder how much this is enforced in my area. So much for any arguments I might have against my neighbor for letting his dog constantly off leash and attacking my chickens when not watched...grr....

Sorry about your problem. Its not like that here. The problem dog owner would be lucky if they got told about it the first time. The second time the dog killed an animal- it would be dead (owner would be lucky to be told that the dog was killed) But that's country for you
hmm.png

Sorry about your problem. Its not like that here. The problem dog owner would be lucky if they got told about it the first time. The second time the dog killed an animal- it would be dead (owner would be lucky to be told that the dog was killed) But that's country for you
hmm.png

A gun is in the works. We've had 2 attacks. The first time we lost a chicken. Never found it, don't know if it was killed by the dog or just got scared off and didn't find it's way back. Second time was last week, and I got out there pretty quick and we didn't lose anything, other than a few girls lost some tail feathers when the thing got close. I chased it down with a rake (only thing I could grab quickly), but it got away. If I had a gun, the problem would have been over.

We unfortunately live in an area where leaving your dog outside for hours or all the time, unleashed, is normal. Free ranging our chickens every day from noon on...I guess we're lucky we haven't lost more.

Our county has no animal control services. So we deal with it ourselves, apparently.

We have animal control, one even lives down the road from me. But you can never get them on the phone. Around me, not that many dogs run lose, and right now the ones that do don't bother anything. But the neighbor did have one that the rest of us were waiting for. He found it a new home
clap.gif
Good luck and hope you don't lose anymore.

Ugh I don't want to fence in my yard...I rent right now.

Wonder if I can talk my LL into taking it off the rent since it will stay here.....lmao

I have only been letting them out in the afternoon for 2-3hrs to run around. Wonder if I can get away with it since my neighbors don't care and I know all the law enforcement around here.....

I really think it only matters if you get reported. You know, like if you have an @$$ for a neighbor and they want to make your life hell kind of thing. Its just knowing the law is on their side over chickens, and we have no protection from dogs. :p Grrrrrrr

I've spent most of today on the phone, and I find it funny because I've been talking with raptor rescue organizations. The irony, I'm always trying to protect my chickens from hawks... and I'll be spending the next month or 2 working with rescues that rehabilitate hawks, owls and eagles in the area. I have to say, I've learned a lot and I've gotten a private invite to a wildlife rehab meeting going on next week. I don't know if I'll be able to make it so last minute, but its nice to know these groups are out there.

Not that it is not sooo funny to hear, BUT..............Shelia has the hiccups ALL the time!!! Does anyone else have a chicken that gets the hiccups? I have tried to scare her, get her to hold her breath, drink from a glass upside down, eat a spoon full of suger.................NOTHING works!! Any Ideas?
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom