North Carolina

Ruthann!!

congrats to you all!!!!! What a sweetiepie.......

Couldn't agree more, omg shes an absolute doll
love.gif
beautiful name too. Glad to hear you and her are home and doing great!

First predator in two years hit today. The smaller of the two lav roos I got at the TSC swap (Henry) got nabbed. Whatever it was (and I'm leaning toward hawk) had to fight for him. There's a trail of feathers in swirls and circles in the pasture, and then it ends. No carcass. He was carried off, not dragged, or there would have been more feathers leading toward the fence. So I have to build more hides to put out. Haven't needed them in a long time, and we pulled them in since the sheep knock them over trying to use them for scratching posts.

When I went to look for Henry, and found the feathers, the other lav roo (George) left what he was doing to come out and watch me walk through it all. I'm sure he saw Henry get nabbed. Poor fella. :(

So long, Henry. I'm sorry.

Sorry for your loss, Althou I wish I had your birds room to roam here, I don't have enough bird netting to cover that many acres!

Scott (Who has all of his runs covered in netting, Keeps the randy Roo's in place and unwanted company out!)

Congrats NH.....she is precious
love.gif

So sorry Hollow.........hope the hawk does not come back
We had an owl, young great horned, last year decide our
place was the new local restaurant........... took
awhile to get it to move on by locking up the birds
so it could not feast on them.
duc.gif

Walked that entire zoo......both directions.
Enjoyed the kids having fun but boy do my
feet hurt
gig.gif

would not give up one moment of it though
big_smile.png

auction in Sanford tomorrow.....at least I can sit down for that
lau.gif

We finally got our tomato plants put up today - we use upside-down planters because for some reason, everything I plant in the ground dies. We couldn't find all of our planters, though. I'm guessing we may have left them behind when we moved last year. Instead of buying more (because I'm completely cheap), we made some out of some buckets we had. Turned out pretty good...and I'm excited to see how the tomato plants do this year.

Last year, my son who is a custom motorcycle painter, made me a couple of bucket planters. He painted them green, with red tomatoes on them. He put the holes for the plants on the sides and drilled drain holes on the bottom, and left the top off so the rain could get in, also made watering easy. They did great!!

On a different note. a couple weeks ago, a BYCer here on this thread, contacted me. He had gotten chicks, and one turned out to be a roo. A black Jersey Giant roo, he could not keep as he lives in the city limits. He gave him to us. Well, litter "Chatter" is just the best addition to our flock!!! He loves to be held, snuggles with us, AND he never ever, stops talking!! hence the name!! If he sees us, and if we don't take him out of his cage, he just pitches a fit!!

And, lastly, a week ago, my husband brought home 8 hens he bought off of CL. A pretty mottly looking crew, most had few feathers left on their backs. They now have free range of the back yard no roos allowed!! One is particually sweet, named Sugar. She developed crop impactment. We had not dealt with this before. But between this site, and Google, and a friend of a friend who takes care of rescued/injured birds of all kinds, Sugar seems to be improving!! But, getting her to drink warm water and warm tea is a bit of a challenge!!

Time for bed,

debbie
We finally got our tomato plants put up today - we use upside-down planters because for some reason, everything I plant in the ground dies. We couldn't find all of our planters, though. I'm guessing we may have left them behind when we moved last year. Instead of buying more (because I'm completely cheap), we made some out of some buckets we had. Turned out pretty good...and I'm excited to see how the tomato plants do this year.

Sorry for your loss, Althou I wish I had your birds room to roam here, I don't have enough bird netting to cover that many acres!

Scott (Who has all of his runs covered in netting, Keeps the randy Roo's in place and unwanted company out!)

Free-ranging does involve risk, but I've lost few birds...except for one winter when a migratory red-tail moved in for the smorgasbord. That's when we figured out about putting hides out. Locking them in at night in late winter early spring has been enough for some time, but a new hawk will be a problem until we get some hides out there. I was going to release one group of young ones this weekend...but that's not happening until the hides are up, for sure. That would be like ringing the dinner bell!

I like those planters NC

Back
Top Bottom