North Dakotans UNITE!

Hi does anyone here in ND have a Light Brahama rooster for sale I would prefer a show quality bird but let me know if you have anything thanks

New to ND (just over a year) in the Dickinson area and looking to get back into chickens. Wondering what breeds do well up here as well as links to local regulations.

Thanks!

Hello,

Brand new to the forum, no chickens yet. I live near Hillisboro, ND. Glad to see a ND thread!
Wecome to the forum Christy. Hope you keep us informed with your poultry ventures!
New to ND (just over a year) in the Dickinson area and looking to get back into chickens. Wondering what breeds do well up here as well as links to local regulations.

Thanks!
Welcome to the sunshine state. Oh, I guess thats Florida. Hope yer staying warm. Most heavy breeds do well in the cold such as Rhode Island Reds, Bared Rocks etc. If you plan on keeping roosters, maybe a rose comb or pea comb variety like Wyndotts, Amerucauna, Dominiques and such, would be better because straight comb birds, especially roosters, are prone to frostbitten combs. Not so much on the hens.
I live in rural Stark county and not familiar with all rule and regs but I have heard that Dickinson does not allow raising poultry within the city limits.
There is also a thread titled North Dakota with more ND subject matter.

Thank you for the heads up! Here's what I found on zoning for future questions -

Section 5.12.040 Farm animals, livestock -- Restrictions on keeping, etc.

1.The raising and keeping of farm animals is hereby prohibited except: As permitted in the zoning ordinances of the City; at zoos; at schools, clinics or laboratories for recognized educational, scientific or research purposes; providing the keeping of them does not create a public health or safety problem.

2.A person may not keep or raise domestic fowl, livestock or non-traditional livestock, within the City of Dickinson except as permitted in property which is zoned as Residential Agricultural - "RA" or Rural Residential - "RR", as defined by zoning ordinances. Domestic fowl when kept as permitted may not be kept within 150 feet of any dwelling unit other than that of the owner of such fowl. All fowl must be kept within a secure enclosure and it is unlawful to allow confinement areas of fowl to cause unpleasant odors, or to permit fowl to create noise or attract vermin which may affect the health and well being of persons living nearby. The restrictions concerning where fowl may be kept do not apply to young domestic fowl being kept temporarily in business places for sale.

3.It is unlawful to keep animals or fowl in the city which have been bred or trained for fighting for sport or exhibition.

4.It is permitted to display farm animals in parades approved by the city. (Ord. No. 857, §1; Ord. No. 1131 § 3; Ord. No. 1332 § 24.)

Section 5.12.080 What constitutes nuisance; nuisances prohibited

The keeping of any animal described in this article which causes annoyance, disturbance or offense to persons residing in or passing through the neighborhood, either by reason of:

(a) Barking, howling, braying, crowing or other sound common to its species;

(b) Biting, threatening, chasing or molesting persons upon the public sidewalk or streets, or the property of persons other than the owner;

(c) The failure of any person responsible for an animal to maintain all structures, pens, coops or yards wherein any animal is kept in a clean and sanitary condition devoid of rodents and vermin, and free from all objectionable odors;

(d) Keeping any animal in violation of any provision of this article, is hereby declared to be a nuisance and the keeping or maintaining of any such nuisance is hereby prohibited. Each day's continuance of such nuisance shall be a separate offense; or

(e) Allowing solid waste of animal to accumulate. (Ord. No. 857, § 1; Ord. No. 1332 § 29.)
http://dickinsongov.com/Documents/I Want to Read/City Code/Chapter 5 - Animals and Fowl.pdf

http://www.dickinsonplan.com/PDF/City_Dickinson_Zoning_Map.pdf

Map definitions - pg 36
http://dickinsongov.com/Documents/I Want to Read/City Code/Chapter 39 - Zoning.pdf

Back
Top Bottom