North Idaho / Eastern Washington

I cannot hatch anymore (per hubby) but the day I gave away my last rooster, I slipped 2 eggs under hen. one was a blue egg, one was a tan egg with purple spots. the tan egg hatched and the blue egg is pipped. Tan egg chick below, mom was a smooth gray frizzle, dad was a black silky. Second baby hatched. The grey chick is "Pecan", and the black one is "Piney" Their dad's name was Peanut.
sneeky little lady... your birds are beautiful. is you dh tired of seeing so many beautiful birds?

OMG I've been looking for Opal Rexes near by for a while. I just got a broken Opal doe from a breeder in Seattle. Are either of yours bucks?? Are they Pedigreed? I might want to breed Penelope/Patches when she hits 6 months old in 2 months... LOL

I have a Chocolate Rex doe, lilac otter buck, my broken opal doe, castor doe, and broken castor buck. Opal has my heart tho. Beautiful color!

My buck and doe are both opal, but not available for breeding, sorry. If I can get my act together, I may have a litter of opals to sell later this year. My rabbits are not pedigreed (it was not offered when I bought them), but I plan to start building my own. It just takes a couple generations of time and effort, so not a big deal.

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for black and blue orpington pullets. I live in Gig Harbor, WA. I have had no luck in my local searches. Anyone know of any? The ones I do find are either older than I want or $100
1f628.png

Ugh, so I lost a chick to possible heat stroke yesterday :(

Had 2 chicks that were all "drunken sailor" stumbling around on Monday. Brought them into the house and garage and cooled them down. They were fine... Went out yesterday morning and had a dead chick I didn't catch :(

The other 2 are doing great, went back outside today. These are my 3 month old barnevelders, who are too scared to go outside the coop for some reason. Last night the rest of them were outside. Hoping they get smart enough and stay outside in the shade rather than the stuffy coop.

Ugh, so I lost a chick to possible heat stroke yesterday :(

Had 2 chicks that were all "drunken sailor" stumbling around on Monday. Brought them into the house and garage and cooled them down. They were fine... Went out yesterday morning and had a dead chick I didn't catch :(

The other 2 are doing great, went back outside today. These are my 3 month old barnevelders, who are too scared to go outside the coop for some reason. Last night the rest of them were outside. Hoping they get smart enough and stay outside in the shade rather than the stuffy coop.

That's horrible! I'm so sorry! It's been so hot and muggy. I've been putting frozen bottles of water in the coop and out in the shade in their run in hopes they will seek it if they start to get too hot. I also have frozen fruit that I toss out to them. I read it helps with keeping chickens cool also. I work from home so I'm able to gibe them fresh cool water throughout the day but I also read that ice cubes in the water helps as well. Good luck! Glad yo hear the other two are doing better.

I also put frozen water bottles and gal jugs out in the coops. i saw 2 of my cockrels on the top roosting bar w/teir wings out and their beaks open. i am retired, so i too can go out and ck on my chickens and change out water, wet down the ground, etc.
i hange the small bottles on the outside of my rabbit cages, they lay next to them, makes me feel good for my efforts, kwim?

@firedragon1982 im sorry for your chicks. poor little babies.

I don't have the luxury of staying home all day unfortunately :( When I put the frozen bottles out at 7 am, they;re melted before it gets truly hot. When my teenage daughter is home, she's good about turning the sprinklers on and the mister we have for the birds and making sure the tarps are in place for shade, and rotating the frozen/melted bottles. But the weeks she's at her dads, no one home to check on them :(

Hi Erinwofford, I don't have black or blue Orpingtons, I have black or blue Isbars. Anyhoo, since you live in Gig harbor stop by 7 Seas Brewery, my Nephew owns it. Good luck on the birdy search!

I don't have the luxury of staying home all day unfortunately :(  When I put the frozen bottles out at 7 am, they;re melted before it gets truly hot. When my teenage daughter is home, she's good about turning the sprinklers on and the mister we have for the birds and making sure the tarps are in place for shade, and rotating the frozen/melted bottles. But the weeks she's at her dads, no one home to check on them :(

When i worked full-time it was difficult to take care of animals at home, especially if i worked too far away from home that i could not go home for lunch. i feel for you.

That's horrible! I'm so sorry! It's been so hot and muggy. I've been putting frozen bottles of water in the coop and out in the shade in their run in hopes they will seek it if they start to get too hot. I also have frozen fruit that I toss out to them. I read it helps with keeping chickens cool also. I work from home so I'm able to gibe them fresh cool water throughout the day but I also read that ice cubes in the water helps as well. Good luck! Glad yo hear the other two are doing better.
Hi @erinwofford try facebook. There are several groups on that sell eggs, chicks, and started birds.

Back
Top Bottom