North Idaho / Eastern Washington

So cute!! Love me some baby ducks. Don't like their mess though!

I dont like their mess either! But they are so worth it to me. I enjoy them so much. I got them moved to the outside coop brooder yesterday. That will make it easier to clean. Plus they are happy to have so much space to run around it.
did you hatch out some runner ducklings yet?

I dont like their mess either! But they are so worth it to me. I enjoy them so much. I got them moved to the outside coop brooder yesterday. That will make it easier to clean. Plus they are happy to have so much space to run around it.
did you hatch out some runner ducklings yet?

I have only had one hatch out so far. More are due the 19th

I am beyond excited! The newest additions to my flock arrived today! They are 8 Deathlayer chicks from Greenfire Farms. Myself and a partner went together on an auction for 16 chicks. They shipped all the way from Florida yesterday and arrived in great shape this morning. Made the drive to the sorting facility at Airway heights to pick them up, so they would not spend another day in transit. Check out my farm page on Facebook. It is still a work in progress, but it's getting there. It's called Fowl Creations Farm.

Nice!!! My husband was just looking at these birds! Let me know when you have eggs later in the year! How are your SiAms doing? Are they laying yet?

Hi,
I posted in the Washington thread and was advised to post here as I am in Spokane.
I've been doing a lot of research and I found this forum to be very helpful. I live in the city with neighbors on both sides of me. I checked our ordinance which allows small flock of domesticated ducks. I am looking at getting no more then three ducks for pets, eggs and weed control. I have a small grassy area about 2500 square feet that is totally organic Kentucky blue grass no weed killer or fertilizer ever! I hand weed dandelions. Is it unrealistic to think the ducks will help keep dandelions down? Also will ducks be good for my grass or kill it if let to forage daily? I'm hoping that's a big enough area for three ducks that they will be a benefit and not kill the grass. I have a six foot fence completely secure. I realize I will need to pick a none flying breed. Best quiet, sweet, pet breeds? I also have a covered dog kennel that I can convert into a duck enclosure at night with a duck house. I'm prepared for them to trample grass in small duck enclosure. I plan to get day old or couple day old ducklings in hopes of imprinting. I work from home so I have all the time. Should I get one duck at a time for imprinting? I would worry at night they would be lonely. If you raise just one duckling at a time what do you do when you have to leave them? With puppies it is ok to leave them in a small safe enclosure for short periods of time alone. Would a duckling be similar? I realize ducks are flock animals as dogs are pack animals. They do better in pairs. Would two or three imprint? Suggestions here? And yes I have dogs and realize I will need to be very careful. However my Chihuahuas are all elderly and have lost their teeth sad.png And my golden retriever also a senior will not be left unattended in presence of ducks. I ordered the duckling diaper package from the mother goose website. I've read on here some people use duck diapers on their pets. Hopefully this will make imprinting cleaner smile.png I would love to just get one at a time but not sure if people have success with this. Any suggestions thoughts welcomed.

Hi,
I posted in the Washington thread and was advised to post here as I am in Spokane.
I've been doing a lot of research and I found this forum to be very helpful. I live in the city with neighbors on both sides of me. I checked our ordinance which allows small flock of domesticated ducks. I am looking at getting no more then three ducks for pets, eggs and weed control. I have a small grassy area about 2500 square feet that is totally organic Kentucky blue grass no weed killer or fertilizer ever! I hand weed dandelions. Is it unrealistic to think the ducks will help keep dandelions down? Also will ducks be good for my grass or kill it if let to forage daily? I'm hoping that's a big enough area for three ducks that they will be a benefit and not kill the grass. I have a six foot fence completely secure. I realize I will need to pick a none flying breed. Best quiet, sweet, pet breeds? I also have a covered dog kennel that I can convert into a duck enclosure at night with a duck house. I'm prepared for them to trample grass in small duck enclosure. I plan to get day old or couple day old ducklings in hopes of imprinting. I work from home so I have all the time. Should I get one duck at a time for imprinting? I would worry at night they would be lonely. If you raise just one duckling at a time what do you do when you have to leave them? With puppies it is ok to leave them in a small safe enclosure for short periods of time alone. Would a duckling be similar? I realize ducks are flock animals as dogs are pack animals. They do better in pairs. Would two or three imprint? Suggestions here? And yes I have dogs and realize I will need to be very careful. However my Chihuahuas are all elderly and have lost their teeth sad.png And my golden retriever also a senior will not be left unattended in presence of ducks. I ordered the duckling diaper package from the mother goose website. I've read on here some people use duck diapers on their pets. Hopefully this will make imprinting cleaner smile.png I would love to just get one at a time but not sure if people have success with this. Any suggestions thoughts welcomed.

i already commented on your other thread--- so wont repeat it all lol. just wanted to say i didnt realize you were in our area! welcome. we are in north idaho. about an hour from spokane

So over the weekend we went to TSC and N40 and we came home with 6 Khaki Campbell ducks and 5 turkeys... Oh dear. Well at least we'll have lots of good eating in a few months!
idunno.gif

So over the weekend we went to TSC and N40 and we came home with 6 Khaki Campbell ducks and 5 turkeys... Oh dear. Well at least we'll have lots of good eating in a few months! :idunno

do you eat the ducks too? just asking because i was wondering if any of our khaki campbells are males, which im sure there will be at least one, if they are big enough to eat?

Back
Top Bottom