North to Alaska!

Pics
welcome-byc.gif
to the forum;

Youy'll find the most recent activity for alaska at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/362268/alaska-chicken-lovers-soup-for-the-cold/4530#post_8786046 but it's slow here, everyone had run away to fancy facebook.

Not everyone..... I keep a pretty restricted facebook presence.

But spring is sproinging here, the snow is melting, and the dogs can smell things again. I have a run to build and planting boxes to build and the computer calls me less.

It's easier to camp by my keyboard when the outside is dark and cold!

Wow I see alot o' people from AK on this thread. I also surely see people who build a coop and then buy their

chicks! Believe me: best course of action is to buy them, then the food, then build the coop! I too am from Alaska,

someswhereselse than every other highly esteemed personage that has commented here.I am in fact, and in

truth, from Nenana! As you may deduce from my signature, I have 3 roosters, 1 must go, 1 may go, and Merry, my dearly loved rooster (who never hurt a soul in his life) must stay and be my mascot.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Hello everyone! We are in Fairbanks and got our first baby chicks almost two weeks ago.

Looking forward to talking with other Alaska people and see what to do or not to do in our climate.

I also surely see people who build a coop and then buy their chicks! Believe me: best course of action is to buy them, then the food, then build the coop! I too am from Alaska
You might be better organized than me, and have a higher stress tolerance, so this plan is definitely the best course for you, but it wasn't the best course for me. My chicks are 7 weeks old now, and quite happy, well protected, and having fun, and I am content and ulcer free.

But thank God we are all different, otherwise how would He tell us apart???

(I do admit that I "bought" them before the run and coop had their finishing touches, but only on order for a month away, so I had waiting time and brooder time to get things finished up)

Hi! I'm just getting started with chickens and am looking to buy some chicks or pullets locally. My coop is fairly small (12 sq feet) so I'm only looking for 3 or 4 to start...is there anyone out there who knows of a farm in South Central Alaska from which to get chicks/pullets this time of year ? I'd prefer to go local instead of through a hatchery. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom