North to Alaska!

Pics
Yikes! So shows might be off the list if we go there...good thing to keep in mind thanks

Hello all,

brand new member to BYC currently living in Fairbanks Alaska. I have been working on repurposing an old shed into a chicken coop any recommendations on how to set it up for the cold temp. we have up here. I just recently put insulation in the shed but was wondering on any other ideas you may have. thank you very much in advance.

I liked the ideas of have lots of venting, but venting it in a protected way.

One person said they had a duct set up between the garage and the coop, I think that person had a small fan, like a bathroom exhaust fan, to move the air through the duct.

Someone else said that they vented from the coop proper into the attic of the coop, and from the attic to the outside. That might be tricky because of condensation in there.

I am NOT AT ALL as cold as Fairbanks, but I have most of my coop venting opening into a sheltered shed. I don't get cold, but I have lots of wind as well as high humidity. So, I need lots of wind sheltered venting.

If I weren't married
big_smile.png
I would have built my coop right up against my house. That way, even in Fairbanks, it might get enough heat oozing from the house wall that the chickens would be just fine.

to akgeostudent:

interior sheathing, have to keep chickens away from insulation and it adds thermal mass and is easier to clean and in general protects the insulation. I used vapor barrier over the insulation and under the interior sheathing.
window/windows facing the direction of the sun
vents up high
covered porch or covered run, for the chickens to use all seasons of the year.

I liked the ideas of have lots of venting, but venting it in a protected way. 

One person said they had a duct set up between the garage and the coop, I think that person had a small fan, like a bathroom exhaust fan, to move the air through the duct.

Someone else said that they vented from the coop proper into the attic of the coop, and from the attic to the outside.  That might be tricky because of condensation in there.

I am NOT AT ALL as cold as Fairbanks, but I have most of my coop venting opening into a sheltered shed.  I don't get cold, but I have lots of wind as well as high humidity.  So, I need lots of wind sheltered venting.

If I weren't married :D I would have built my coop right up against my house.  That way, even in Fairbanks, it might get enough heat oozing from the house wall that the chickens would be just fine.

I'm the one with the vent from the garage to the coop :) I also have a regular screen vent (like would be in the eaves of an attic wall) in one outside wall and a small vent in the wall between the coop and the feed room. Between the two vents and the blower, a lot of air moves through and keeps it fresh and dry.

I'm the one with the vent from the garage to the coop :) I also have a regular screen vent (like would be in the eaves of an attic wall) in one outside wall and a small vent in the wall between the coop and the feed room. Between the two vents and the blower, a lot of air moves through and keeps it fresh and dry.

Thanks for responding!

I wish that they had a "hot weather coops" and a "super lots of snow and cold coops" sections.

Thanks for responding!

I wish that they had a "hot weather coops" and a "super lots of snow and cold coops" sections.

Haha! No kidding! I need to figure out something for the top of my run this summer. I just put chicken wire on the top to keep other birds out and all the snow keeps building up on it and sagging it down. I have to duck now when I go in there. Probably going to have to put 2X4's across the top to help hold it up. I really didn't think so much snow would build up on the wire :-/

I also had to dig out and repair the electric fence I put around the run to keep the bears out the bears. I had it unplugged for the winter, but I was checking the fence this weekend and it looks like the neighbors dog has been trying to get through it. He did more damage than the bear did!

Back
Top Bottom