North to Alaska!

Pics
I had no frost bite.  Buckeyes have pea combs (almost not there) and no wattles that I can see!  That and the fact that their feathers are tight, making them good cold weather chickens, are the reasons I have Buckeyes.  Who knew that they would decide that feathers taste better than their food. Plus I kept their coop above freezing the entire winter except twice when it got down to 28 degrees.

Picking. People tell me it is because I introduced new chicks to the main 12.  Because they were younger, they have been picking at them since they were introduced.  I was so careful.  I put the new chicks in an area fenced off from the rest but they could still interact with each other.  I waited 2 months before putting them all together.  The younger 12 were only 1 month younger.  Anyone experience this?  I have a couple bullys.  Chicken people tell me that if I get rid of them another will replace them.  Shouldn't I be able to add a chicken from time to time without a massacre?  Man, discouraging!

Do you have a heater in your coop to keep it above freezing or just heat lamps? We have eve's in our coop and my husband assures me that it won't cause problems as the roof overhang well covers them. Hope he is right!

In my set-up I found the openings in the eves to be the worst.

The wind funnels through there like a freight train. Openings lower down on the wall aren't anywhere near as bad.

But the part with the openings at the eves has a ceiling that follows the roofline, so vaulted. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad in a building with a flat roof?

Anyway, I have blocked all of the eve holes this summer.

I don't use any heat, except a deicer in the water bowl.

But I am in Homer, so relatively warm.

Since you mentioned the poop tray, you need to look into a product called sweet PDZ. It's granular like sand and it dries out the poop and kills off the ammonia smell. We use it in all three houses, works great. Once a week we screen it out to remove the poo, then it's back fresh again. You can buy it at Walmat in Wasilla, so I know Kenai Walmart could get it.

I just switched to the Sweet PDZ this summer, first time, AWESOME!

It is almost miraculous how well it works.

I get it at Cad Ree Feeds in Soldotna.

Never thought to look for it at Walmart...really.....you find it at Walmart? Is there a Walmart in Kenai/Soldotna? I usually just go to the Fred Meyers or the Home Depot.

I'm looking to sell my Americauna Rooster. I figured to post here in case anyone would be interested. He is a nice looking bird. I just don't need him.

I just switched to the Sweet PDZ this summer, first time, AWESOME!

It is almost miraculous how well it works.

I get it at Cad Ree Feeds in Soldotna.

Never thought to look for it at Walmart...really.....you find it at Walmart? Is there a Walmart in Kenai/Soldotna? I usually just go to the Fred Meyers or the Home Depot.
I heard about it from folks down south so I bought a pallet and shipped it up. Then one day I was walking through Wal Mart Wasilla and presto there it was, $8 a bag cheaper then what I paid for it with shipping. I don't know if the Soldotna Wal mart would carry it or not but might be worth a phone call. I love the stuff, a little goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom