North to Alaska!

Pics
The Golden Comet isn't a breed, it's a cross. If memory serves, it's a white Rock roo over a New Hampshire Red. You can produce the sex links on the first generation, pullets are golden, roos are white. This will not run true for future generations though. I've had New Hampshires, was never impressed with them but the golden comet is a laying machine. Golden Comet is also just a name from a hatchery, there is also cinnamon queen, red sex link, Red star, all pretty much the same cross.

This spring I'll be working on crossing a true blue gene roo over leghorns, see if I can get a high production blue large egg. Then I'll be crossing a Black Austrolop roo over the leghorn for an Austra White, then a BCM roo (French) over the EE to get olive eggs, then EE over EE for more EE's.

Note to the Homer gal a couple pages back, if you want to ship your birds into Anchorage I can house for a few days for you. I have 9 GQF trays that house about 100 per tray for the first couple weeks. I brought in a couple thousand last spring, will be downsizing the import this year so I'll have loads of room. (in Anchorage, adult birds go out to Wasilla)

Last edited:
Wow! That will be really enteresting about the bue egg leghorn!
clap.gif
I hope it will work out! Keep us posted.

Hi guys! I am new to chickens as of May. I have been on BYC but haven't posted much. We lost half our flock to a fox and are rebuilding. Have some fun breeds and can't wait to see what additional breeds I can get up here

Welsummer bantams
Hello my fellow Alaskan
. Hope you are all staying warm.
I will have EE, FBCM ,Dark Cornish x Jersey giants. I will start incubating eggs the first of the yr..So if anyone is interested Let me know what and how many you would like to have. I am in Fairbanks Few pics of my birds,,, find me here Face Book .Alaska Flock Talk and Swap https://www.facebook.com/groups/224708457677034/<<<<< Peace

What breeds do you have?
We have three leghorns (no names since I cannot tell them apart), a "non standard" cochin (Henrietta), a blue silkie (Gloria), brown frizzle (Bernadette), black aruacana (Francine) and two japanese bantams with no names yet.

On Monday we are adding a light brahma (Nadine) and a gold laced cochin (Leona).

All our birds are gals :)

We have three leghorns (no names since I cannot tell them apart), a "non standard" cochin (Henrietta), a blue silkie (Gloria), brown frizzle (Bernadette), black aruacana (Francine) and two japanese bantams with no names yet.

On Monday we are adding a light brahma (Nadine) and a gold laced cochin (Leona).

All our birds are gals :)
Nice mixed flock. We have 4 buff orpinghtons, 1 silver lace, 1 cinnamon queen and 1 ditch chicken that we rescued.

My leghorns look so miserable in the cold!!

I was going to buy R.C. Leghorns in the spring but now I am thinking that that might be a stupid choice.

Freezing combs aside, my leghorns just look miserable!

Anyone have any R.C. Leghorns? Do they look less miserable in the cold than the S.C. Leghorns?

And my Leghorns have gotten me thinking that maybe the Hamburgs I am ordering will also be miserable in the cold.

Anyone have any Hamburgs? Are they happy in the cold?

All my birds go out in the snow. But one of my BO's has a rather large comb and it's got a little frost bite on it.Think after I cull them I will find birds with small combs.

Back
Top Bottom