North to Alaska!

Pics
New chicken enthusiast in Talkeetna! Coop design and breed selection under way! Ideas/suggestions/dos & don'ts are welcome!!

New chicken enthusiast in Talkeetna! Coop design and breed selection under way! Ideas/suggestions/dos & don'ts are welcome!!

way overdo the ventilation... you can always cover it if you have to, but cutting holes in the walls of your coop at zero degrees sucks.

Cover/ roof as much of the run as possible, also, blocking wind rocks.

You can make an ugly coop for zero money.

Keeping the waterer outside will help keep humidity and also frostbite risk low.

Hi all! I live in Talkeetna and am about to get my first mixed flock of hens in late March. I'll be brooding them inside for 4-6 weeks until they're feathered up, then transferring to the coop. Right now I'm brainstorming ideas for our coop and trying to decide how much insulation I need, if I need heat, and doing the deep litter method. I'm thinking of insulating the roof and three walls (the fourth wall is going to be inside our open-air shed). Also doing vents in the eves covered in hardware cloth. So question is: do I err on the side of more insulation to avoid having a heat lamp/panel heater on 24/7 or less insulation with a heater? I know ventilation is key. We are thinking 8-12 birds in a 6 ft by 10-12 foot coop. Also what materials are best for DLM? Thanks!!!

Hi all! I live in Talkeetna and am about to get my first mixed flock of hens in late March. I'll be brooding them inside for 4-6 weeks until they're feathered up, then transferring to the coop. Right now I'm brainstorming ideas for our coop and trying to decide how much insulation I need, if I need heat, and doing the deep litter method. I'm thinking of insulating the roof and three walls (the fourth wall is going to be inside our open-air shed). Also doing vents in the eves covered in hardware cloth. So question is: do I err on the side of more insulation to avoid having a heat lamp/panel heater on 24/7 or less insulation with a heater? I know ventilation is key. We are thinking 8-12 birds in a 6 ft by 10-12 foot coop. Also what materials are best for DLM? Thanks!!!

you want
-insulation, that rodents CAN'T get to
-lots of ventilation, you can always make it so that you can close some of it if it gets super cold. I would do more than just eave venting, some people love venting at the eaves, I hate it. When I had my eaves open the wind just rushed in terribly. I like the big open areas I have on my coop walls, they work well.
-deep litter is great for making heat, good idea
-I am very anti-heating the coop. I don;t think the birds need it, and the risk of fire is giant. (Maybe in Fairbanks... but I know people in Talkeetna that don't heat)
-wind block in the run for the water. I like keeping the water outside (to reduce risk of fire, and keep the humidity in the coop low). I find that if you put the water against a wind block like a window or a sheet of ripple plastic, then the water stays thawed longer.

electric in the coop is good so that you could set up a light on a timer, to help with winter laying.

you can look at my coop page for other stuff...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-coop-journey

you might also like this article:

http://www.alaskanthefrostedflake.com/?p=126

We acquired 3 beautiful hens and a very wonderful rooster not long ago I guess about 2 weeks. They are so relaxing to watch and visit with! Next week we will be getting about 4 chicks various kinds along with the 3 we have incubating to hatch later this month!! We are so excited. So excited infancy that today we picked up 3 layers (very unsure what breed) from the Pet Zoo in ER they are adorable little fuzzie peeps who love snuggles.. Our girls are really enjoying them as well.. We have a nicely insulated coop and a very nice size run for them all but since we live out in Butte they are not really caring for the wind and it appears we are going to have to put up a cover over the run as well as wind shelter for them.. Glad to see you all on here.. We love Alaska!!

I'm so excited to inform all about our chirping incubated eggs!!!:) but I have a question on one of my year old hens a RIR we have 4 and our rooster Bruce of course but one of my hens seems to be segregating herself from the others and the rooster.. She doesn't appear to be ill and she looks fluffy and great but she seems very sad and alone...:( any help will be appreciated... I think a wormer would work but not sure what kind is needed and if we should give it to the whole flock or not...??? She is eating but then goes off by herself again.. Can chickens catch cold? We got a snow yesterday but not sure if this could be the issue.. If so how do I give a chicken chicken soup to make her better so to say...

I'm so excited to inform all about our chirping incubated eggs!!!
smile.png
but I have a question on one of my year old hens a RIR we have 4 and our rooster Bruce of course but one of my hens seems to be segregating herself from the others and the rooster.. She doesn't appear to be ill and she looks fluffy and great but she seems very sad and alone...
sad.png
any help will be appreciated... I think a wormer would work but not sure what kind is needed and if we should give it to the whole flock or not...??? She is eating but then goes off by herself again.. Can chickens catch cold? We got a snow yesterday but not sure if this could be the issue.. If so how do I give a chicken chicken soup to make her better so to say...

That sounds to me as if something is clearly wrong with her... she must be sick or injured or something similar.

However, I never doctor my chickens (except for clear wounds from animal attacks or similar). So, I am not helpful, sorry!

I know some people really like feeding chickens garlic and pro-biotics and kefir and such things. Maybe ask on the sick chickens thread here on BYC.

hugs.gif
Hope it works out for you, it is always difficult to see them suffer.

Well she is not egg bound but her behavior is still self segregated and depressed droopy feathered and not active but still scratches in the morning and evening and eats and drinks.. I sure hope she makes it through.. Coconut oil is good for many things I wonder if that may help her pass this bug or whatever..:( any suggestions would be wonderful thanks again for your help..

Back
Top Bottom