North to Alaska!

Pics
Well she is not egg bound but her behavior is still self segregated and depressed droopy feathered and not active but still scratches in the morning and evening and eats and drinks.. I sure hope she makes it through.. Coconut oil is good for many things I wonder if that may help her pass this bug or whatever..
sad.png
any suggestions would be wonderful thanks again for your help..

I am really not sure what would help. Maybe some extra nutrition, some high vitamin whatever...

I know the healthy folks like things like the pro-biotics. Me, I would probably toss out some carrot, or a pumpkin, or some other fruits or veggies high in vitamins.

Other things to watch for..

- make sure that she has access to dirt/sand/gravel or grit
- make sure she has access to oyster shell
- pick her up and look her over closely for tiny mites or lice
-pick her up and check her carefully for bumble foot or any other injury

good luck!

She's doing a lot better today!:) out with the other lady's:) having chickens in Alaska (this being our first flock) does the increase in daylight effect them? Last night they were out till about 9 and out earlier than normal today..hmmm she has plenty of sand and dirt to bath in and her feet looked good when we picked her up.. Oyster shells have been out for them all as well.. Another thing we thought of was that she may be the mother to the other 3 but we aren't sure because we acquired them fully grown from a friend.. How do we check for age on a chicken?

oh my! I have no idea how to check for age!

I am glad that she is feeling better.

And YES daylight length is a giant factor in chicken behavior. If you choose to not give them added light in the winter, they will lay very little to zero (the only exception that I have had are production leghorns in their first year, they laid with NO heat or light in my uninsulated chicken shed.

Now that the light is increasing so much, the egg production has skyrocketed, and yes, they also stay up later and get up earlier.

Hello, I am in Kasilof and have a few questions. I would love to have ducks up here but in the past I can't get my ducks to go into an enclosure or coop at night. In the lower 48 the fox picked them all off because of this. How do you deal with this issue here and is there any way to teach them to go to safety at night? What ducks are best for here? I have had muscovy and enjoyed them along with pekins. I was thinking that runners may do well. Any input is welcome.
What are the major predators out here and do any of you let your chickens free range or is that asking for trouble? Thank you for any help.

Hello, I am in Kasilof and have a few questions. I would love to have ducks up here but in the past I can't get my ducks to go into an enclosure or coop at night. In the lower 48 the fox picked them all off because of this. How do you deal with this issue here and is there any way to teach them to go to safety at night? What ducks are best for here? I have had muscovy and enjoyed them along with pekins. I was thinking that runners may do well. Any input is welcome.
What are the major predators out here and do any of you let your chickens free range or is that asking for trouble? Thank you for any help.

Some people manage to free range their poultry, and have no problems.

I have managed to loose lots of poultry over the years, and finally have a coop and run that I hope will workm like Fort Knox.

The main predator losses that I have had are dogs, LOTS of dog losses, and then flying beasts... bald eagles, big hawks, and great horned owls.

I am super scared of everything in the weasel family... some people have had problems with those, and the problem is that they can squeeze in through tiny little holes, and then they will kill every single chicken that you own, in one night.

As to ducks, they are VERY routine oriented. So, it might take awhile to train them, but if you herd them into their coop every night at 6, after a week or two they will probably herd themselves in by themselves.

All ducks do well up here, they are better in the cold than chickens.

Hey fellow Alaskans. I posted but it seems like it went to the wrong thread lol. So sense I can't figure out how to delete it ill just post a hello instead ;)

Last edited:
Hello from Fairbanks! We raised a small flock of coturnix quail in our cabin from last season over the winter & it was a joyous experience once we got them into their deep litter bin! Were now raising a flock of ducks as egg layers for the first time. We got a couple adult Cayugas and are raising khaki campbell ducklings. Having those two adult ducks really makes maintaining the ducklings much easier! Looking forward to sexing & settling in our flock. Anyone else in the interior?

Back
Top Bottom