North to Alaska!

I met a guy up near delta who has about 16 varieties of waterfowl. He has lots of top and elite show quality Holderread stock. He makes trips into Wasilla to sell. If your looking for stock i can get you in touch.

Hi all!
Any fellow Alaskans out there? We have 12 hens of various breeds. Four RIR's, three Barred Rocks, a Buff Orphington, Golden Comet, Black Australorp, a Black sex link, and a Gold Laced Wyandott.
This will be our first winter with chickens so any advice on how to winter them over and winterize the coop will be greatly appreciated.

Gayle

Hi, Southcentral here! Seward to be exact! So glad I found this state thread. I have a heat lamp hanging in the middle of my coop. I layer the floor 1st with wood pellets,(very absorbent and very cheap) 2nd I put a layer of pine shavings and 3rd straw. I then repeat the layers once more. I sprinkle a very light layer of diatomaceous earth right before I start the repeat process. Keeps lots of extra warm and keeps it very dry. Then, as you know the bottom layer may freeze, so I usually add new hay lots. This has worked very well for me over my chicken years. Hope this helps! Yeah for Alaska!

Back
Top Bottom