North to Alaska!

Pics
Hi, My name is Amy, I live in Eagle River.
I am finally going to get some chickens and was looking at Triple D and read in the paper where they are probably going to go under. (and do not have chicks this year)

Quote:

If Triple D does not sell chicks, (they just order in from large hatcheries) There is one one called Sterling Meadows. She has a website. A very reputable hatchery!

Quote:
Aw, Thank you AlaskaBuffs!
smile.png
Welcome Amy! Depending on the breeds you want, we might be able to help you. There are a lot of people in the Valley that are hatching chicks, too. But check out the website in my signature, and see if anything grabs you. We have a small waiting list for several breeds, because we're small, but I'm hatching everything that's being laid right now!
Tori

Quote:
You can have poultry just about anywhere... but Anchorage and outlying areas have restrictions to numbers and roosters. Hopefully someone up there will be able to point you in the right direction. I know someone had posted a link at one time.

There are several threads, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=362268 for one, that talk about the housing that's best for the chickens. But again, it all depends on breeds and numbers of chickens you want/can have. Some people insulate, some don't. Some people heat, some don't. You want good sturdy construction, ventilation but no direct drafts, with access to an outside run. Highly recommend covering the run, as many people have had birds hauled off by eagles, owls, etc. This is the simple version... a search for Alaska or cold climates will bring up a lot of threads.

As for breeds, you will want good hardy birds, rose or pea combs do well up here (ameraucanas, brahmas, wyandottes, etc). Google "Hendersons breed chart" and you can look at the traits of many of the breeds and figure which ones you like that are hardy enough for the Alaskan winters.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. I contacted Tori and am going to get a few silkies and Orpingtons next month. I can't wait!
Anyone else "nearby" that have any cochins?

Here are the proposed changes to title 21 in Anchorage. They have been proposed for two years already though. But I am hoping this summer is the year.

http://www.muni.org/Departments/OCP...hapters and Ordinances/21-05ProvisAdopted.pdf

pg 115

Amy in Eagle River

Margie L in Wasilla has cochins... I don't think she's on BYC, but we can work offline to hook you up.
smile.png

Hi Tori,
Its me, Deedra
smile.png

I just love my Blue Rooster, I got from you. For an almost 1 year old rooster, I cannot believe the lack of any aggression he has. My Buffs, always show some kind of defensive behavior towards normal human interaction.

Quote:
Hi Deedra! I was trying to figure out if I knew you or not! LOL! I'm glad you're enjoying him... I keep Blue Orpingtons over most of the other breeds just because they are so docile.
smile.png

Hello fellow Alaskans! Greetings from the rainy southeast! I raise waterfowl (perfect for the 120 inches of rain we receive). I currently have Silver Appleyards, Saxonys, Dutch Hookbills, Welsh Harlequins, Cayuga ducks, and American Blue geese. I am obsessed! When I am not fishing, gardening, hunting, gathering berries, working, or tending the family, I am likely watching and playing with the birds and the dog.

frow.gif
Have 3 hens in Wasilla. Looking forward to summer!

Lost one last night. I think she was egg bound, so did an autopsy. I am posting this so I can accumulate posts to put picts on the diseases List.

Back
Top Bottom