Northeastern Poultry Congress - Springfield, Mass - Jan 14-15, 2012

My daughter had a good day. Her three birds placed. Me, not so much only one of my three placed. I really have to figure out how to put an end to her picking all the best silkies to show and me getting "leftovers." Haha. But, she enjoys it so much I feel badly taking any of that away from her. Here are her birds:

THANK YOU all SO MUCH for all the help.
It was a weekend I will remember for a long time.
But, being older than Mame1616, I may also have forgotten some names already.
I cannot believe what an incredible bunch of people have in common to drive hours in the winter, to meet complete strangers.
And to help me out at the BYC table, was just priceless.
I am still unloading my car, doing laundry, and stressing out about going to work tomorrow.
The NEPC has put on a great show. I plan on attending again next year.
And, I came home with both a blue, and red ribbon. Woo Hoo!
Right now my DH is running a bath for me, which somehow seems more important than sitting here typing.
Thanks again, I owe Mame 1616 the world.
And everyone else, too.
Please pm me your times, so I can forward them to Nifty.

Gratefully yours,
Roberta

Mame, who was the faverolles breeder that was there? (and why didn't they bring some of their birds
wink.png
for some competition?)

Dick Boulanger has been doing Favs for about thirty years. His flock was decimated by a predator a couple summers ago and he is still rebuilding. I'm on his waiting list.*

Dick Boulanger has been doing Favs for about thirty years. His flock was decimated by a predator a couple summers ago and he is still rebuilding. I'm on his waiting list.*

ah. i wish someone had pointed him out!

btw, i realize now why the girls i picked up were some of his culls. a couple had fuzed toes. one girl is a little smaller than she probably should be but has good overall appearance and nice toes (she's a white too!). one girl has a little bleed through in her blue. and of course one girl has visible wattles. they are still sweet faverolles girls. nice and talkative!

i guess i got the numbers wrong. there were 1 black, 2 blues and 2 white! and boy oh boy are those 2 white girls pretty!
droolin.gif

THANK YOU all SO MUCH for all the help.
It was a weekend I will remember for a long time.
But, being older than Mame1616, I may also have forgotten some names already.
I cannot believe what an incredible bunch of people have in common to drive hours in the winter, to meet complete strangers.
And to help me out at the BYC table, was just priceless.
I am still unloading my car, doing laundry, and stressing out about going to work tomorrow.
The NEPC has put on a great show. I plan on attending again next year.
And, I came home with both a blue, and red ribbon. Woo Hoo!
Right now my DH is running a bath for me, which somehow seems more important than sitting here typing.
Thanks again, I owe Mame 1616 the world.
And everyone else, too.
Please pm me your times, so I can forward them to Nifty.

Gratefully yours,
Roberta

Oh, please. I was only the decorator. You were the instigator. And you're like five minutes older than me - jeez!

(Although I must admit the sign looked pretty great by the end of the day!) Pics coming soon - I left my camera in the car and now that I am in my slippers, I'm not going back out! It took over an hour for my hands to get warm again after I unloaded the birds.

Woot! Can't wait to do this again next year! The year before it had snowed like two feet, but it was warmer. I even have a fav restaurant and hotel now, so I have to come back!

Quote:
I'm sure Dick would tell you not to breed them - there's too much negative to work through when, with a little patience and searching, you can start off with excellent birds from a real breeder. Some of my favorite birds - ok, they're all my favorite! - I would never breed, even though they are beautiful. You have to keep in mind the benefit to the breed, and while you may be able to weed out some of those bad traits over a long, long period of time, you will also be perpetuating them with every hatch, because the bad traits will probably always be there, hidden in the background. It was a hard lesson, but I am much better able to wait for the right birds, because the reward is so much greater. I searched for over a year for a couple of my birds, and they were worth the wait. Just hang on the fav thread, and get birds from the breeders there.

i know. at the moment i'm just enjoying them and the eggs they give me. got home to find one of the girls left an egg in the box even though i was told they are nearly finished with their moult and only one had just started laying again! they are all beardless at the moment, they will eventually grow back in and i can get some pics to show you!

i just noticed this morning my bantam boy Mosey had his beard plucked by someone in my coop. the girls must be getting bored and took it out on him since he is willing to let the girls groom him. i moved him in with 2 of my other fav girls and he looked happy to be without any competition from the other roos!

btw, does anyone know the name of the lady that had the lavender Orpington and Sussex chicks for sale? i know she was one of the people sitting over at the Marans club table. the guy i got the chicks for was interested in knowing who i got them from. all 5 chicks made it home and fluffed out nicely. they were peeping like crazy (at least one was the loudest) it was kind of hard to want to give them up though! but i have 2 chicks in the house and expecting maybe a few more next weekend so i have my fuzzy butt fix at the moment and don't need any more.

What a big day yesterday! I had a great time and it was very nice meeting some of you.

Stoopid, How did your little accident prone lavender orpington chick do? Did s/he make it home?

I took a lot of pictures and hope to get them on the blog soon. Until then some of my other blog friends were there. Just in case you need to see more pictures and see more points of view
smile.png

http://scratchandpeck.blogspot.com/2012/01/art-lesson.html

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/p...&utm_campaign=Feed:+TillysNest+(Tilly's+Nest)

http://www.hencam.com/henblog/

Kannna
rugosarosefarm

btw, does anyone know the name of the lady that had the lavender Orpington and Sussex chicks for sale? i know she was one of the people sitting over at the Marans club table. the guy i got the chicks for was interested in knowing who i got them from. all 5 chicks made it home and fluffed out nicely. they were peeping like crazy (at least one was the loudest) it was kind of hard to want to give them up though! but i have 2 chicks in the house and expecting maybe a few more next weekend so i have my fuzzy butt fix at the moment and don't need any more.

That gal is Marquisella, also known as Sterling Sue. She is the secretary of MCCA, and I was graciously given first choice on the Marans chicks she hatched out.
I hope the next in line had enough to choose from, but with breeding stock like hers, I should have taken them all!
I came home with more than twice the chicks I had planned for, and luckily DH didn't flip out.

Bouncy didn't make it, but was a trooper till the end.

Back
Top Bottom