Northern California Chicken Rescue

angel8035

Songster
7 Years
Apr 1, 2012
Applegate, California
Hey All,

I thought that I would spread the word. On Monday I am going to adopt three former battery hens that were rescued by a group called "Animal Place." They have locations in Grass Valley and Vacaville.

Here is a blurb about the 50,000 hens that were abandoned and left to die in their cages:

The case centers on California’s largest-ever rescue of farmed animals. The hens were crammed into cages so small that they could not stretch their wings. Hens struggling to survive intermingled with the 20,000 hens who had already perished. Dozens of chickens had fallen out of their cages and struggled to avoid drowning in the giant manure pits below the buildings. Many were so sick that they could not stand, hold up their heads, or eat and drink. The sanctuaries provided emergency care to the emaciated and suffering animals, and have been nursing them back to health.
“After 48 hours of camping outside of the egg farm, Animal Place took in 4,100 of the starving hens to our two sanctuaries,” stated Kim Sturla, Animal Place’s executive director. “The highlight of Animal Place’s efforts is watching these hens experience daylight, grass, love, and affection for the first time in their lives.”

http://animalplace.org/2012-a-l-poultry-sued

If anyone has a heart to adopt these rescued hens, the sanctuary still has several hundred left. They have been nursed back to health and are doing well, though they have some problems associated with their previous life (they have been debeaked, for example). I believe they are all production strains of white leghorn and will lay many eggs. They are about a year old.

I will keep this thread updated once I get my girls. Of course they will be quarantined from my current flock for a month. I know they have all been tested and vaccinated so I believe they should pose no risk.

I hope this can help any of you who might have been looking for a place to adopt battery hens.

Back
Top Bottom