Sep 17, 2023
I just rescued this hen!!! I actually rescued four hens and a duck but was only able to keep ONE. A family friend is going through a divorce so we decided to rescue the animals after finding about 10+ chickens and ducks that were dead. I absolutely had to take them and find the other homes. I have 3 hens already but I'm not sure how to introduce her and to make sure she doesn't have any diseases. Can I quarantine her inside my coop or does she need to be separated further away from it? These poor animals were starved and had no water. I'm sure they fed off the dead ones to stay alive. The scene was horrific!! help!!!

Attachments

• 20240106_161832.jpg
    20240106_161832.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240106_161838.jpg
    20240106_161838.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 15
I would quarantine her outside of the coop area 100% if the living conditions were so awful. Try to give her some save a chick electrolytes, food and maybe cook up an egg or two with crushed shells for a boost of protein and calcium. Keep a close eye on her, check in her feathers (especially around her neck and vent area) for any black bugs mites. And her feet and legs. Thank you for saving them.

Keep her in quarantine away from the other chickens for about 30 days to look for any signs of disease. A unbreakable mirror might be good, and visit often so that she doesn’t get lonely. When chickens are deprived of food or water, they may suddenly go into a full molt from the stress, so be aware of that if there is a sudden loss of feathers. Offer clean water and layer feed or all flock feed. A bit of scrambled egg or canned tuna bits can be offered as treats occasionally. Good luck and hopefully you can save her. I would consider worming her, and if her poops get very runny or there is any blood, treat with Corid for possible coccidiosis.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom