1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Northern Fowl Mite help needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by riftnreef, Jan 28, 2011.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    OK...short of it...I came home for the Ohio Nationals with a nearly perfect pair of white Bantam Cochins. As luck would have it, they are now infested with mites. I dusted them two days ago with my standby garden and poultry dust that did wonders on a lice issue I had a while back, but these mites seem imune to it...even though the package clearly states it will kill Norther Fowl Mites. So...now what? These are SQ birds, and I've already trimmed the hens vent feathers thinking it was a poo mess she had, but turns out it was from the mites. These guys have soo much fluff, that even a good slathering of the dust don't seem to be helping...what are some other options?

Side note...they are penned in a basement room which harbors ideal temperatures for these critters year round, and are directly next to my Serama flock that has no signs what so ever of the mites being on them. Not sure if the mites came with the birds, or if someting I had in that pen left them behind. Seems odd that my Serama are uneffected by it, but the Cochins are covered.

Anyway...back to the help part...if you have an tips, please let me know. I would prefer not to give the roo a trip as he is set to show in July!

Thanks in advance!

2. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Treat them with pour-on Ivermectin -- treats lice, mites and worms. I use .5 cc on my LF cochins, so I would say .25 cc for the bantams.

Becky

3. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    In syringe just below the base of the neck?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Yup. And yes, to me a syringe is the easiest way to ensure getting down to the skin. And 0.25 ml is correct for bantams.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2011
  5. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I assume this is Ivermec pour on for cattle we are talking about? Or is there a poultry version?

6. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    OK...ready to apply the Ivermectin...now...hatching and eating eggs...is there a withdrawl time I should consider before eating eggs from my larger flock? Also, is it ok to use hatching eggs from birds being treated, or will that cause problems during development?

TIA

7. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

i pm'd you
    Quote:

8. ravenseye57

ravenseye57 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Try adding food grade diatomaceous earth to their dust bath.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have read one account of the mites becoming resistant to permethrin in parts of the country.

I agree ivermectin should work.

This website recommends Sevin dust:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Be sure to retreat in 10 days if you dust them. The hatching eggs will need to be treated.I have successfully used Sevin dust- but take personal protective precautions like gloves, mask, take shower, long sleeves, etc.

It is supposed to be toxic. Also, they will shake that stuff everywhere in your basement as they shake their feathers. I use an old sock and powder puff them under wings and all over except the face. Ivermectin does have an egg withdrawal time.

I have also used Eprinex pour on- similar to ivermectin- but I also simultaneously treated with dust. If you have a severe infestation that is what I would do if you don't see those bugs dead in a couple of days, personally. But you might want to take them outside to do so and wait until they shake the stuff off some.

I hope that you don't have to use dust too!!!

The ivermectin should work. But just in case it doesn't here is a next step if you wish.

10. riftnreef

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Applied the Ivermectin last night. Not too much of a chore, and I re-dusted all the bedding and roost poles with the permithien(sp?) dust to try to knock out any hiding there. Now, these are not my layers...all show birds so I'm not that concerend with withdrawl time as my girls outside have been checked and re-checked and I don't see any mites or evidence of them ever having been there.

My new question is....hatching eggs from Ivermectin treated birds...any one done it? My Cochin hen has really picked up the pace on her laying lately, and I would hate not to hatch those eggs if there is no danger to the development of the chick....plz advise!

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by