Northern fowl mites

Yesterday in the middle of the day my daughter touched their perch inside the coop and tons of mites were crawling on her hand. Does that lead to NFM because they were active in the day, or red mites bc they weren’t on the bird? I looked in the daytime today and only saw one mite on the nesting boxes but I cleaned and put DE in the coop yesterday. My hen who was sitting on the eggs let me check her and there were mites in her tail and vent area that were moving around.

It can be either but my guess is NFM. The fact that they're active on the hen during the day is my main criteria (and yes they can be on roost too). Scrap the DE, it's obviously not doing a thing.

Also for time being I'd keep your daughter out, mite bites can get pretty nasty. I'd recommend only one person handle the birds until it gets cleared up, because we even got them in the house. Here's how I managed it, to try and minimize their impact inside: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/evil-chicken-mites.1354517/#post-22342505

We very carefully hosed and wiped ourselves off after touching the coop, but yes I will keep her and myself clear until we treat and I will be careful. Do not want these in my house! Thanks for the heads up.

If you have mites that bad. I’d skip the permethrin and use frontline spray ( 3 small squirts 1 under each wing and 1 just below the vent) sevin dust in as powder puff in a stocking to cover all over the birds vent area, bellies and under their wings, cape and saddle. They’ll be gone in a day.
Spare the responses because neither is recommended for poultry I’m aware.

Hi-5 roosterhavoc, this has been an accepted way to get rid of mites for years (many ag extensions). I will concede that mites are showing tolerance to carbaryl (sevin) as well as permethrin in some areas where these products are applied too often.

Hi-5 roosterhavoc, this has been an accepted way to get rid of mites for years (many ag extensions). I will concede that mites are showing tolerance to carbaryl (sevin) as well as permethrin in some areas where these products are applied too often.
I use the sevin for the lice and frontline for the mites. I do both at the same time 1-2 times a year usually just once.
I read constantly how people have to keep reapplying permethrin. I have never had to do it again with 6 months. I have only found mites again after they weren’t sprayed for over a year or new birds that have never been treated.

so tell me you all aren't putting permethrin directly on chickens? Even near them and in a coop where they have to live and breathe? wow. wouldn't diatomaceous earth work best and not poison you, your chickens and your land?
DE is probably worse for lungs than permethrin.
If you have mites or lice DE is not going to kill them...
...and of course you have to be careful with the permethrin when handling it.

so tell me you all aren't putting permethrin directly on chickens? Even near them and in a coop where they have to live and breathe? wow. wouldn't diatomaceous earth work best and not poison you, your chickens and your land?
DE works marginally for controlling some larvae in soils. That’s about it. Otherwise you’re wasting your money.

Back
Top Bottom