Evil Chicken Mites

James Gielow

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Hello all! This year is seeing a explosion of chicken mites. Had some broody hens and I think that intensified the issue. I've begun dusting with DE and will hit everything again in 7 days to get any new hatching mites.

Here's my bigger issue though. They get on me when I harvest eggs. They're eating me alive as I write this. I read that they don't live on people for long, but these past few days have been hell. I've showed often and have washed and vacuumed everything in sight. Any tips!? I have so many bites in my armpits and inner thighs! Can't sleep a wink!

Help!
Yours
James

Permethrin concentrate. Dilute per instructions and spray the entire coop (after you thoroughly clean it out). Then spray the birds between the legs, around vent, under wings and anywhere else needed. We use a garden sprayer for this.
Repeat in 7-10 days. No egg withdrawal with permethrin.

permethrin is the synthetic version of pyrethrin, which is present in marigolds.
DE will not be effective in getting rid of an infestation.

x2 the permethrin. I had over 60 bites by the time we realized mites were the issue, not bed bugs (which I previously thought).

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol to spare, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!

x2 the permethrin. I had over 60 bites by the time we realized mites were the issue, not bed bugs (which I previously thought).

While treating the chickens I suggest keeping a dedicated set of chicken-only clothes, gloves, boots, etc. either in garage or shed, somewhere out of the house, and only use those around the chickens until treatment is done. Before going back into the house, check arms and legs carefully for any mites.

I also got some permethrin spray for use in the house, and sprayed all our muck boots, as well as hubby's office chair and the sofa.

Launder everything you've worn recently in hot water + hot dry. Launder your sheets as well. Even things like pillows... let them tumble in the dryer on high for at least 30 min. I even threw jackets in the dryer. If you happen to have rubbing alcohol to spare, my pest guy suggested spraying the mattress as well.

Continue vacuuming daily for a couple of days and make sure to empty out the vacuum/remove bags when done.

I know it seems like overkill but if you can get it under control with the chickens, the ones in the house should get eliminated/under control in the same time frame as long as you don't drag more in. Best of luck!
Great tips! Thank you both!

I learned the hard way. DE doesn't work. I have tried a lot of different things. I use permethrin. It works. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. No egg withdrawal period. I also put some of the dust in the nest boxes. It does take a few weekly thorough sprayings everywhere to completely eradicate them. Permethrin does not kill the mite eggs so repeat sprayings or dusting is necessary.

I just got infested with tiny black mites on me. I had my hen under my shirt as we carried her 9 chicks by box into the house. Next day I had about 50 bites on my neck & chest. I found 2 on my phone screen & started googling. Got the hen & chicks down to coop, got heat lamp & took hot shower, washed everything in hot h20, hot dryer. its now 5 days later. I found one on my chest. I thought hot showers wd kill i

(Cont'd) Because they are black & don't latch, just crawl & bite; are the tinier .5mm vs. the red mite is 1.5mm. I read its ok to use frontline for this? would i have to get dose for large dog? I got permethrin spray for hens. Haven't used yet on baby chicks. Also read Sevin dust works, DE does NOT. will also try lime dust in nest boxes & coop floors.
Had chickens 25 yrs, never had human infestation. Hen was found in hay in barn w/her new hatchlings. Maybe it was hay since we have 2 dz swallow nests. Glad its getting cold & dry to keep these bugs from thriving.

Got the hen & chicks down to coop, got heat lamp & took hot shower, washed everything in hot h20, hot dryer. its now 5 days later. I found one on my chest. I thought hot showers wd kill i

The hot water thing was according to my pest guy. He said very hot temperatures should kill them, so washer/dryer should be able to reach hot enough temperatures to do that, however you won't be able to safely bathe at those temperatures. Entirely possible that a few dropped off of you as you went in and out of house, and then climbed back up on you later. This is why I vacuumed my house daily for several days plus sprayed permethrin on furniture we used most often, plus alcohol on the mattress. I even used Frontline on my dogs just as a precaution.

I haven't had experience with anything other than the permethrin so can't advise as to safety or dosages or how to use them.

Hello all! This year is seeing a explosion of chicken mites. Had some broody hens and I think that intensified the issue. I've begun dusting with DE and will hit everything again in 7 days to get any new hatching mites.

Here's my bigger issue though. They get on me when I harvest eggs. They're eating me alive as I write this. I read that they don't live on people for long, but these past few days have been hell. I've showed often and have washed and vacuumed everything in sight. Any tips!? I have so many bites in my armpits and inner thighs! Can't sleep a wink!

Help!
Yours
James
Feed them garlic with food mix. I used to put in a half lb for every 50lb of layer. Never had the problem again.

Back
Top Bottom