Northwest Colorado anyone??

Coloradochick- where in Arvada are you? I lived in NW Denver for 25 years, 19 of them were at last location SE of of I-70 & Federal until April 26th of 2006, we decided to get away from the craziness of that city for a smaller, quieter lifestyle up here in MT. My DH was a native of Wheat Ridge and our boys where born there at Exempla/Lutheran Med. (just some ref. info so you know I'm not blowin smoke) Just curious
big_smile.png

Lori

Last edited:
Hi Lori,
We are at 52nd and Eldridge. Oh how I would love to move out of here too! It has gotten way to crowded for me. I was born and raised here. Graduated from Arvada HS in 83. All 4 of my kids were born at Lutheran too.
smile.png
My oldest graduated from Arvada West last year and now number 2 is a Freshmen there. I'm hoping to bust outa here after she graduates. (Maybe she'll bone up on classes and do it early
big_smile.png
) Do you like Montana? Is the weather comparable or is it colder up there? It's nice knowing a (neighbor) on here.

Cara

Cara
We love it up here! Little farming community 25 miles NW of Helena.
I don't miss the big city but I do miss some of the amenities. I first moved to Arvada in 1981 to stay with my sister,( she is no longer there), then I met my husband. He lived in Wheat ridge at that time. We married in Aug. of 83 then moved a couple years later to NW Denver on Bryant St. After having our twins Dec. of 2000 we knew with all the crime & gangs around, we had to do better for our boys.
We found our place here through the internet! I miss Echters greenhouse and also Red Robin restaurant there on 52nd & Wadsworth. There are none up here! They just opened a Macaroni Grill & Chili's but we gotta get a Red Robins up here! Everything is in Helena but that where I go to shop for everything. The weather is much the same. We'd thought we would have more snow but you guys have out done us these past two seasons so far. Good to hook up with a neighbor even if we're not anymore!
Where we live now there is no crime, no gangs (they don't even celebrate "cinco de mayo" up here) and we don't even lock our doors! It's GRRREEEAAAT!
big_smile.png

Lori

Last edited:
Hi B2B - Welcome! I'm from the opposite side of the state... we live out on the plains SE of the Denver metro area (out in Elbert County).

I have Australorps, RIR, Red Sex-link, White Leghorns and a SS Hamburg. This is my first winter with chickens so I'm learning but thus far all is going well.

We insulated our coop with the pophole door facing SE. Even with our below zero nights (which we've had many of the last four weeks - with high winds to boot) all my girls are just fine. Now, my coop isn't very large (8x8 with the chicken side 7X5) and they sit wedged in next to each other on the roost so they stay warm by being so close to each other and having a smaller space around them also.

I would love to live where you do ... I'm appropriately jealous. I do love where I live though so I'm not complaining.

Quote:
In the US, they are all bantam sized. They are generally very mild tempered, as long as your standards aren't aggressive and you have enough space, you should be able to add some with no real issues. I have a young black non bearded cockeral I'm trying to rehome, if you wanted to start with him...

We will be in Denver on Sat, I could bring him with us for $5-just so the husband won't complain
smile.png
Let me know, he's not extremely friendly, but he's certainly not mean. I have two standard EE roosters as well, but I'd have to double check on them, they might be spoken for.

I will also have chicks for sale in the spring, probably around $2-$3 each depending on how many you buy, or they are readily available from hatcheries.

Hi All,

LoneCowboy here. I'm in Longmont. My DH was born and raised in Wheat Ridge. Went to Wheat Ridge High School.

I'm glad to see some other Colorado Folks out there. I'm starting to feel like the only crazy chicken person in the State. But I'm trying to corrupt others.
big_smile.png

Hi Lone Cowboy - We're here, just spread out a bit. Everytime I see something 'chicken' on Craigslist that's from you I give a hip, hip, horay for you always doing such a great job! I do love your chicken house ... hope you sold it as someone would be getting a really well made, great deal!

Yep, sold it and 2 more. I Just wish the weather would warm up enough to get the painting done. I need to deliver one on Saturday so I have heaters, and heat lamps and everything going out in the shop.

Now we just need a good source of hatching eggs here in CO. That is before mine start producing, and they aren't even hatched yet
gig.gif
Going to breed blue orpingtons and hopefully blue jersey giants.

Hi fellow Coloradans,

We are up in Coal Creek Canyon (just west of Arvada). We are down to 3 chickens (original 12) and 1 duck (original 4) and have gotten rid of 2 Chinese Geese (thank goodness). We lost most of the birds to the fox, bobcat and the geese! I’ll be the Golden Mill and Nederland feed stores come this Spring to get some more chickies
big_smile.png

The weather up here is not that bad, but I must admit, the birds sleep in a heated shop until the coop is finished (heck it’s only been 3 years :| )

Jim

Well Jim, if you want breeds that they don't have, I bring in 50 at a time and brood them and sell them. I don't think the Hygiene store is going to carry any chicks this year. He says they are a pain.

Back
Top Bottom