Norwegian Jaerhon

Pics
I have two Jaerhon hens. They lay really well in the summer but come winter they are spotty ,even with light.
idunno.gif
My two are different personality wise. One is friendly the other a spas who thinks I am going to kill her.

Can someone tell me more about Jaerhons personality? I've seen mixed things regarding it, or is is very different types of personalities just how they are? If they are given a lot of attention as babies, are they friendly?

That's because some are flighty, and some are mellow, just like any other breed. We don't handle chickens much, as they are livestock, not pets, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in our flocks. The Jaerhons are efficient in the feed to egg ratio. We like them, and they are popular with the city fad followers that can't have roosters, as they are autosexing.

That's because some are flighty, and some are mellow, just like any other breed. We don't handle chickens much, as they are livestock, not pets, but it doesn't seem to make any difference in our flocks. The Jaerhons are efficient in the feed to egg ratio. We like them, and they are popular with the city fad followers that can't have roosters, as they are autosexing.
Of course every individual is different, but some breeds just naturally seem to have no desire to interact with people, while others seem to drawn to them, as a rule. Lots of handling always makes them more tame than they would be otherwise, but not necessarily friendly. I'm just wondering generally what they are like.

Quote:
In general, I'd put them higher up on the 'friendly' scale, maybe a 6-7 out of 10. I've had Jaers that were annoyingly in-my-face and underfoot friendly, others who don't like to be handled but don't run away screaming either. Several eat out of my hand now, I don't make any special efforts to tame my birds either.

I have 3 hens & roo unfortunately all related I would love to trade some eggs to get some fresh genetics.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom