Norwegian Jaerhon

5 more little NJ peeps! 3 boys, 2 girls this time. And 3 eggs that aren't hatching for some reason though they made it to lockdown. I'm sure it was something I did since they seemed to develop well throughout. Will do eggtopsies and see what I can see. 10 more eggs in another bator, but not all are developing I don't think. I used a mix of ages of eggs to see where viability really takes a dive, so kind of an experiment. But even with those I'll learn something I hope! Meanwhile there are 4 x 2 week olds, 1 x 1 week old, and 5 1 day olds all coexisting in the brooder nicely. I'm amazed at how well the older ones treat the younger ones. The olders are about to move to a bigger brooder though, growing fast!

Wonder if I can get a picture of all 3 ages in a row.... Probably like herding cats but might give it a go.

5 more little NJ peeps! 3 boys, 2 girls this time. And 3 eggs that aren't hatching for some reason though they made it to lockdown. I'm sure it was something I did since they seemed to develop well throughout. Will do eggtopsies and see what I can see. 10 more eggs in another bator, but not all are developing I don't think. I used a mix of ages of eggs to see where viability really takes a dive, so kind of an experiment. But even with those I'll learn something I hope! Meanwhile there are 4 x 2 week olds, 1 x 1 week old, and 5 1 day olds all coexisting in the brooder nicely. I'm amazed at how well the older ones treat the younger ones. The olders are about to move to a bigger brooder though, growing fast!

Wonder if I can get a picture of all 3 ages in a row.... Probably like herding cats but might give it a go.
YAY! Thank you for the pictures! Let me know what the results are of your egg age experiment.
thumbsup.gif

I am keeping an all-Ideal originating flock and established my spring breeding group 2 weeks ago, so I am beginning to offer hatching eggs now. Please PM if you'd like to be on my list...

This is Saffron, she's an 7 week old Norwegian Jaerhon chick, much smaller than her EE brother and sister.I was wondering what color variety she is. It's a bit difficult to find specific examples of each variety online to compare her to.

She's the one standing in the corner here

THis thread link is dead. I'm interested in learning more about this breed. Is there another thread on BYC that goes further into depth on the breed? Thanks!

Looking for a new rooster for my hens. Located in indiana. If you hae chicks or eggs please let me know. Thanks

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I am looking for Jaerhon hens. Any age, any color! I want them to use for an educational display at local Syttende Mai festivals. I ordered two pullets from Ideal early this spring- they sent me two cockerels. (Still mad about that.) I'm in Wisconsin, willing to pay for shipping! Might be able to take fertile eggs if my Cochin goes broody again.

Sad this thread is so dead! These are such cool birds. I guess they loss market share when Legbars and such started becoming more available. I see so much potential in these thrifty little autosexing birds, though!

Back
Top Bottom